icon

which parrot system? materials?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bamayukon 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2008 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am debating between the Parrot 3100 & 3200.  I was wondering if anyone has a pro/con opinion on the units.  One has LCD screen with color and other does not.  Is the color screen worth the little extra$?  Also needed some info on installation.  I have Alpine head unit using preamped speaker leads from unit.  However, I am using the sub output for amp and sub. Is there a harness that will ease this install and utalize my speakers and mute the sub? Or is it possible to wire it up direct between factory harness and unit?  I am a fairly experienced "shade tree" installer just needing a little advice.  I don't mind paying for the harness if it is worth it.
2004 Yukon Alpine headunit, 1000w amp to kicker comp12 in series. Not much yet neat.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2008 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
How old is your deck... ? will it utilize the BT300?  If it will use the Alpine BT, theres a mute wire... I believe it's pink.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

Kar Tune Man is right, if your head/unit is compatible with Alpine BT unit, use that otherwise the 3100 is a better bet than the 3200 x amount less and the display is better. If you are using pre-amped outputs, use the pink/black from the head/unit and join to the yellow on the parrot, hardwire to either or both side  front door speakers by breaking and joining the speaker leads.

bamayukon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I ordered the 3100 unit based on the display.  Didn't think a color display that might not even be seen when its bright anyway.  Just waiting on the unit to arrive.  So the pink/black wire is the mute wire that will mute the system and speakers can be hard wired?  Doesn't seem so hard?  I asked about getting a wiring harness and someone told me it would be a waste of money especially since I already have an aftermarket harness to hook up the head unit. Looks like I will have a pretty simple install.  Thanks for the input.  I will let you know how it turns out.
2004 Yukon Alpine headunit, 1000w amp to kicker comp12 in series. Not much yet neat.
bamayukon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

Is it not a good thing to use front and back speakers with the unit?   I noticed the back is muted on the standard iso plug.  Can they be wired in?  Is it worth it?  Or does is limit hearing in the front where you actually are.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
Sq4met2 is correct, I didn't realise you had what we call SOT  adaptor leads in the US. Always use them when we can; bamayukon, your idea is daft, first Parrot doesn't power up the rear speakers, it disconnects them during a call, second if you are going that route you only really need the driver's door speaker connected. the Parrot isn't set up to drive 4 speakers. As an aside from someone who has both kits, the 3100 for some reason appears to have a much better mike.
sq4me2 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
thats exactly right. first off the parrot only has a 3 watt amp in the blue brain and they actually use the same style of mic, but it is possible the 3100 sounds better. our dealers all love both units and our vw steer kit the most. as i am not allowed to advertise and i don't wanna infringe i will say it works for those who have 06' or newer vw and audi's w/steering controls and they were hot at x-mas. there is a video at you tube. the title for the video is "vw steeringwheel". by the way parrot still hasn't worked out the bugs on the mk6100 and the iphone is still a pain as it won't sync up the phonebook on most parrots and doen't share music with the 6100 as its not a2dp compliant
image is everything
bamayukon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all..... all the help on the install made it very simple.  The pink/black wire was the mute.  The speaker leads and power wires just linked right in between where I had my factory wiring harness added in.  Only thing I do not like is the sound coming out of the front speakers is VERY low.  Is there a way to boost this up a little?  I have the units volume jacked all the way up.   Maybe a very small amp or signal booster?  I am afraid that I will not be able to hear very well during normal road noice.  I have only tested the speakers sitting in the driveway and I had a hard time then.  The mic that picks up my voice is great and callers can hear me very well.  Any suggestions.

sq4me2 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
have you tried an outboard speaker, just a cheap p.o.s. to see if its louder on that. could be your speakers are power hungry.
image is everything
nicestuff 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
CK3100 is a workhorse, very little return rates, maybe 3-5% at the most. 3200 is flashier, but much less reliable - we see return rates of 7-10%, mostly due to LCD failures.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic