icon

dual voice coil

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rj_archer 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  

One of my subs ill be geting is a dual voice coil, do i amp each voice coil spertly or have 1 big amp and split them at the terminal on the box?? and what is the differnce from mono block and normal ones?

michael213 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
How many subs you going to be running? Look at the sub wire section in this website for wire instructions, also make sure you have a 1ohm stable amp before you wire for 1ohm. Mono block amp is the same as bridging a regular amp. Mono is the way to go you don't need stereo sound from subs, just the biggest bass you can get. Hope this helps.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
rj_archer wrote:

One of my subs ill be geting is a dual voice coil, do i amp each voice coil spertly or have 1 big amp and split them at the terminal on the box?? and what is the differnce from mono block and normal ones?

It may help if you list what specific sub/amp combo you are looking at.  

rj_archer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
its a 1500w DBX earthquake 12in dual voice coil sub, i dont know what amp to get yet. + ill be geting a 15 0r maybe 2 15's lata on but they wont be for a while.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

mmmmm  i love earthquake subs. I have the old 12" black single VC's. Anyways, it all depends on how you want them wired. If you want a 4 ohm load, you can get a 2 channel amp. If you want 2 ohm, you can use a mono block. Most mono blocks will allow down to 1 ohm sometimes even 1/2 ohm stable.

greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

Damn, another Earthquake thread dual voice coil -- posted image.. This is the 3rd one today.

The best way to set this up is going to be determined by how much money you have to spend on an amp, and which amp you get. Also, are the coils on the sub 2 or 4 ohm?

If it were me, I would put the sub in a ported box and get a big ass mono amp to drive it with, then wire the coils in parallel and rock on.

I have the older black single coil DBX 12's as well.

rj_archer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
lol yea gotta love ya earthquakes, umm i no i should like a dip doodie but whats OHM's i dont realy under stand that and what is better 2 or 4? and for the amp im looking for about $300-400 so yea. wat are some other realy good brand amps? and i wats the max wattage the amp can be for the sub and wats the mininum wattage. sorry for all the questions
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
"normal" amps and subs are 4 ohm. The bigger, more powerful amps/subs are 2 ohms. A amp that is wired into 2 ohm gives out more power to the sub. The sub will pound harder but will have a greater chance of distortion. Plus the amp will need to work harder causing possible overheating depending on how you have the gain set. I have 2 12" single 4 ohm subs. I have them wired straight to a 2 channel amp keeping everything at 4 ohms. I like the way the bass sounds. It pounds hard for the bassy songs, yet is nice and tight/clean for the heavy metal I listen to.
rj_archer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
ok so how can i wire mine up so its 4 ohms ? i seen that i can only get 2 or 8 ohms wen wired up is that tru
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Wow...............
There is no such thing as free installation!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic