icon

viper 160xv lights in a dodge intrepid

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jjasinski7 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid SE without a factory alarm system, and without the infinity sound system. I had a viper 160vx installed and the parking lights dont flash at all to confirm any actions were taken. The installer said that he couldnt make the parking lights flash because of something about resistors. I dont know much about installs but do you guys know whats wrong? I can hear the car making the clicks it makes like when i have the blinker or flashers on. But the lights wont come on. One more question is that he didnt install the status light, valet switch or the horn honk is that normal for a best buy install?
Thanks,
James
cmk0808ny 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 4:39 AM / IP Logged  

its a neg 110 ohm risistor wire. you need to take the white park lite output put a 110ohm resistor in line and connect to the - yelow wire at the headlight switch.

best buy does not usually hook up the ststaus, valet switch or horn. its all extra like trunk and dome sup.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
Parking lights should not be an 'option' this is how you know the vehicle accepted the command and is running without having to go outside. If you are referring to the programming button as the valet switch then this may or may not be included as some shops do not want you messing with the programming options. The LED, and horn honk could be considered extras. The parking lights should be hooked up IMO.
Where in Jersey are you?
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
jjasinski7 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Sparta, NJ in sussex county.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

tell your installer to hook up the parking lights. its not really an option. as kartuneman mentioned its used for confirmation.

if you want to fix the lights yourself, do it like so with a relay

85 - ground

86 - 12v from the alarm unit for parking lights
87 - High current ground
30 - to YELLOW (-) @ headlight switch with a 110ohm resistor INLINE. 

another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
after programming tach, the led and valet aren't needed for the 160 other than for programming. therefore i don't install them either. if someone wants to mimic an alarm, they can buy an actual alarm (not saying you specifically, just in general). secondly they should've hooked up the horn and parking lights.
HORN                BLACK/ RED        (-)   STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
PARKING LIGHTS    YELLOW           (-)   HEADLIGHT SWITCH (
clcik here for diagram
another-kelly 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
forgot to mention. if you bought it at best buy and i'm assuming you did , the viper 160's shipped to best buy come with a 451M relay pack that also just happens to contain a resistor pack. no excuses for them now. they tell you they didn't have any resistors?
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

the 160xvl has the anti-grind feature in which you need to cut the starter wire. IMO the valet switch should not be considerd an 'option' since a customer may need to use it. its next to no extra work to make it accessible. it will only save you time in the future if a customer wants you to change common features like parking light flash/constant, run-time etc. the LED doesnt have to be mounted as its not THAT important, although if its not mounted or the horn is not connected, it can be hard to program features in the future. i usually wire-tie it under the dash and put a piece of tape over it so the customer doesnt see it glow. if i ever need it, its accesible. as for horn and parking lights, i guess its debateable as some shops charge extra for them. i always hook them up for no extra charge.

aaronrs4 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
As a Best Buy  installer, I'll tell you this... The Parking libeen hooked up at the time of installghts are not an "additional option", they should have been hooked up at the time of the install. Take it back to them and have them finish the job. They don't even need a relay as the 160 has a jumper that can just be moved for Negative Parking lights. all he has to do is put a resistor in line. As far as the LED and the programming switch are concerned, They aren't required to be installed as they are only used for programming. I never used to put them in the car, because I always had at least 3 cars a week come in where stuff wasn't working quite right  because the customers were programming random options on thier own... So I quit installing them... Now, I plug them into the brain, but leave them tied up under the dash in case I need to access them at a later time, but they don't know they're even there, so they can't "play " with them....
Install it like everyone will see EVERY part of it.
another-kelly 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
aaronrs4 wrote:
because I always had at least 3 cars a week come in where stuff wasn't working quite right because the customers were programming random options on thier own... So I quit installing them...
+1. that's why i don't anymore. used to put it together with the led either up in the dash or behind the kick panel but grew tired of rookies coming back because they changed something "accidentally"
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic