icon

cannot manually start 1999 tahoe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djkurious 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1999 Tahoe with a RS-860LCD remote start alarm that has just replaced a Autopage 720LCD remote start alarm. The original 720 was installed by my local dealer. To save money, I researched the connectors and they are still compatible with each other and are direct fits. I connected all the wires and harnesses together and now the truck will remote start with the remote, but not start with the key in the ignition. Every other feature with the alarm works perfectly. I'm not sure if this is a Passlock issue or not.

Any advice on this issue?

brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
is your truck's yellow starter wire interupted by a relay- perhaps you are not programmed to control that relay properly with your new unit...........
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
rhd180 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
does your starter from the remote start have a starter kill relay wired in? if so, your connections from the relay to the starter wire on the vehicle are switched
djkurious 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

brcidd wrote:
is your truck's yellow starter wire interupted by a relay- perhaps you are not programmed to control that relay properly with your new unit...........

I will check that as soon as I get home and post the results.

hottwhyrd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
actually do u have  "security" written on ur dash when you start it with the key?  if you do then the interface may need programming.   but check your started kill first
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Also make sure the system is unlocked/disarmed. I am not familiar with the Autopage line but with the DEI product I use...the starter kill is active when the system is locked.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
djkurious 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Twelvoltz wrote:
Also make sure the system is unlocked/disarmed. I am not familiar with the Autopage line but with the DEI product I use...the starter kill is active when the system is locked.

Well I do know that I do disarm the system to get in to attempt to start it. just to be sure I will check on this as soon as I get home today.

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
this may be a dumb question, but when you say that it wont start with the key in the ignition, do you mean that you cant start the truck with the key, or you cant remote start it with the key in the ignition?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
autopage, their systems activate a GROUND WHEN ARMED to do a starter kill. so like DEI, the starter kill is active once you arm it. If you want to see if you have a starter kill, get inside the car, arm it, wait 10 seconds then try to start. If it doesnt crank at all, you got a starter kill relay wired somewhere. or arm your car and try to remote start. if it doesn start, you wired the start output befor the relay (key side) and you must go to the other side (solenoid/motor side)
djkurious 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

offroadzj wrote:
this may be a dumb question, but when you say that it wont start with the key in the ignition, do you mean that you cant start the truck with the key, or you cant remote start it with the key in the ignition?

No question is dumb!

What I meant was i cannot start the car manually with the key as if I didn't have a remote start or alarm.  Now if I reach under the dash and unplug the Autopage unit, it starts with the key as normal.  If plug it back up and try to start it with the key, It will not start with the key. I have to remote start it.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic