icon

of drl on subaru forester l 98

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gingercat 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

I recently relocated to Canada and need to install a DRL kit. I purchased a Grote 44040 DRL Module aftermarket kit. The guidelines provided with the kit has a three wire system: 1. Pink - connects to ignition input to signal the key is switched on. 2. Yellow - supplies the vehicle's headlights with +12Volt during DRL mode. 3. Blue supplies the module with a signal to de-activate the DRL output when headlight is manually activated.

Using a Volt meter I found Power from the Acc to PINK(1), Connected Yellow(2) to the Yellow wire on the HeadLamp, and the Blue(3) to the Park Lamp wire Yellow.
I tried it as per above and this did not turn on the lights but did pop the fuse on the DRL. I am assuming that I may have the incorrect wiring points or the DRL device is not compatible with the Subaru?

There is a 'Special Note' hidden within the Grote DRL instruction: NOT suitable for vehicles with headlight switch on the ground side of the circuit... after reading the install guide.

Is the Forester 98 Positive, Negative Switching?

I hope to attempt this again but wanted to ensure that the switching/note above wont render this specific unit not suitable for this vehicle.

Can anyone offer some in this regard. This will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2008 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
that forester should be + triggered for the headlights so you should be fine, the headlight wire from the switch is GREEN/ black and its + trigger, the park lights is orange also + trigger, are you connecting it directly to the headlights? if so i would try connecting it at the column, and see how that works. if you went straight to the headlights it might be too much of a current draw for that unit to support, thus popping your fuse. getting the wires from the column should go into the factory relays and allow that unit to turn the lights on and off with the key.
git yer swerve on!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic