icon

2001 town and country, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Just thought of another way of checking it out.
If the above tests are inconclusive, try this:
Build a temporary jumper, with a 180-ohm resistor and a length or two of scrap wire.
Connect one side of the resistor to chassis ground. While cranking the car with the key, touch the other side of the resistor to the car's PURPLE / brown.
Basically, what I'm getting at is if the PURPLE / brown doesn't see the signal, the engine won't start. So that's what you want to be checking out.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2008 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
did you double check to make sure that somehow the violet/brown wire didnt get pulled out of the factory plug, or that the factory plug somehow loosened up and isnt completely connected tightly?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
audiomaninc 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2008 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

I took it one step further guys.  I actually, one by one, cut every wire coming from the ignition switch plug.  I then turned the key in the ignition to see if I could make the problem appear manually, so to speak.  When the violet/brown MUX wire is interrupted, and the key is turned, nothing happens, at all.  The starter 1 wire (yellow) energizes, but the starter doesn't actually crank.  Like I said, I cut the wires one at a time, to try and figure out if it was a wiring issue, and I couldn't get the van to just crank and not turn over.  This leads me to believe that it's actually an equipment problem, and not a wiring issue.  I did the same cut one wire at a time test on the SKIM module, with the same result.  I even went so far as to unplug connecter C3 from the BCM which the doorlock/security wire is connected to see if that would do anything.  No luck there either.  I'm out of ideas.  I'm leading toward a bad SKIM or Ign. switch or a combination of both, mainly because of a)  the security light doesn't illuminate on the message center, ever, and b)  there are only 2 things between where I insert the key at the key cylinder and where the remote starter is connected, the ign switch, and the SKIM.  The remote starter works EVERY time, and they key doesn't work, at all now.  My common sense and instinct tells me that it's gotta be something between where the key goes and where the RS is.  She's thinking about taking the van into the local Chrysler dealer and having it looked at, and we all know how that goes.  I once had the dealer blame a taillight being out on a new G6 on me installing a RS into it 2001 town and country, remote start - Page 2 -- posted image.

Jason

2003 Dodge Neon R/T
Alpine CDA9813, RF T2000.1bd, RF T162S, RFT142C, RF T600.4, RF T215D4
140.7 @ 28Hz
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2008 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
One quick thing to try, completely unplug the BCM. I do know that some functions in the Caravans(like door locks) have no fuse but instead some type of electronic breaker in the BCM. I once shorted out the locks in a 2002 and they wouldn't work until i uplugged the BCM for a few minutes. When i plugged it back up all worked fine. The top plug is the main power. It's worth a shot...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
audiomaninc 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2008 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

I unplugged the BCM and disconnected the battery for over an hour.  Problem's still there, I give up on this one.  I'll just wait and see what the dreaded Chrysler dealer has to say.  I can't wait to get blamed for a problem with a 95,000 mile 7 year old van 2001 town and country, remote start - Page 2 -- posted image.

Jason

2003 Dodge Neon R/T
Alpine CDA9813, RF T2000.1bd, RF T162S, RFT142C, RF T600.4, RF T215D4
140.7 @ 28Hz
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic