icon

engine shuts down after remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackdragonpr 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
I'm having this problem with my installation. I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix and installed a Autopage 727-LCD Remote Start Alarm. The system works well, except that when I remote start, it starts the engine and works as supposed, but then I press the brake to shift from park to drive WITH the key on the ignition and it shuts down. After 2 seconds all the panel lights come on (as when you put the key in and move it to acc) and then I have to crank the engine again to go. Does anybody have any suggestions on what could be causing this?
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Have you checked all your connections? Have you installed any type of starter kill relay or ignition kill relay? You need to meter the main ignition harness wires and see if any are loosing power when you disengage the remote starter.
sparky
blackdragonpr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Yes. I installed a starter kill relay. Could it be the position where the remote start wire is located? Should I connect it before or after the starter kill relay? I don't think it is a loosing power issue.
blackdragonpr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Correction. It is a ignition kill relay. Same question for this relay.
wiretapper 
Copper - Posts: 166
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

Your iginition kill circuit isn't turning the ign back ON fast enough after you hit the brake.

You might not be able to do it in that vehicle unless you can get the kill circuit to shut off faster, allowing the iginition to stay on.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

I would strongly recommend you read this post here.

Starter kill is the way to go...ignition interrupt with a relay is not a good idea.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with this suggestion. Use the relay for starter kill. The car already has a transponder system in the key so adding starter kill should be more than enough of a theft detterent. It is far safer too. Remember, Murphy's Law - Murphy was an optimist. The worst that will go wrong with a starter kill is that the car won't start. If the ignition circuit failed while you were driving, you could lose control of your car and cause an accident. You would be at fault.
sparky
blackdragonpr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
So, the solution will be eliminating the ignition kill relay and keep the starter kill relay? I installed the ignition kill relay because I thought it gives more challenge to the thief if he tries to carjack or steal my car.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
The vehicle's OEM anti-theft will be more then enough to bypass. If you have insurance policy for theft then it would not be an issue. That is the reason for that insurance, not just for accidents. I also advise against ignition kill for the same fact as previously stated, if the relay were to fail while driving it would be disastrous on a roadway causing a potential fatal accident. You can do a fuel cut off if you are very experienced at installing or starter kill if you want a basic starter disable.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
blackdragonpr 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
OK. I'll try by eliminating the ignition kill and leaving only the starter kill. I think I understand now why it does not stay on with the key in. I'll try it and post back with the results.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic