icon

hum, buzz, etc. noise when car is off?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kickercivic1 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2008 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
I have Pionner cd player, rockford 4 channel amp.... and carcomputer..... I get this loud buzz noise even when the car is off,  I tried  four different grounding points still the same.. Any idea when this buzz might be coming from. I am not using any time of inverter in the car.
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2008 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
test the amp turn on wire when you shut the car off. Does it lose all power or slowing drops down in voltage.
Cris
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

Carputer would be my guess, although the infamous Pioneer line level ground loop problem could also be the culprit. 

Is it a genuine carputer or a PC or Mac that has been adapted to work in a car?  First try disconnecting the power and ground from it and see if the noise goes away.  If not, my next guess is you need to get rid of Pioneer head units...

Support the12volt.com
kickercivic1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Well its a carputer, not just a home pc. i have jetway 1.5GHZ mobo. m2-atx and etc... all of this in a voompc-2 to case. I know its not the cd player.... This noise only occurs when i plug something into LINE-IN of the mobo.
kickercivic1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

StealthEs wrote:
test the amp turn on wire when you shut the car off. Does it lose all power or slowing drops down in voltage.

Just curious what diffrence would this make? sorry i new to this...  I will check with the meter tomorrow when i get to work and let you know for sure.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

kickercivic1 wrote:
Well its a carputer, not just a home pc. i have jetway 1.5GHZ mobo. m2-atx and etc... all of this in a voompc-2 to case. I know its not the cd player.... This noise only occurs when i plug something into LINE-IN of the mobo.

Then there's your problem.  How is the computer powered and grounded?

Support the12volt.com
kickercivic1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

kickercivic1 wrote:

Then there's your problem.  How is the computer powered and grounded?

Computer's power(+) is coming straight from the battery and its grounded by the kicks. i tried grounding it 3 different places. I also ran the power and ground straight to the battery and still that that buzz noise when car is off and then when i turn the engine on i get the whine.. I also tried grounding the cd player, computer, sirius and HD radio audio to one place and still the noise is there.

DYohn 
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like there is a ground plane issue inside the carputer.  Try connecting a wire (any size wire) between the outer (ring) connector on one of the RCA outputs and the carputer's case.  If that helps the carputer has a poorly designed and possibly defective preamp.
Support the12volt.com
kickercivic1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Sounds like there is a ground plane issue inside the carputer.  Try connecting a wire (any size wire) between the outer (ring) connector on one of the RCA outputs and the carputer's case.  If that helps the carputer has a poorly designed and possibly defective preamp.

I just did that right now. when touch the spekaer Output from the carputer to the ground the noise gets quiter, its still there but just not as loud. what you think might be to cause that? 

DYohn 
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

The output from the carputer is a line level, right?  Not a speaker output?  It has to connect to your head unit or to an amp, right?

The carputer has a bad or poorly designed ground plane.  Either it is defective or just cheap.  Take it back where you bought it if it's still under warranty for repair or replacement - of course if it's just cheap, then you are screwed.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic