the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

quality amp with 20-25 hz subsonic filter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kamberkash 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone know of a good *quality* amp that has a 20-25 hz subsonic filter on it? Anyone that has experience with the alpine PDX series amps please chime in, i cant tell if they even have a subsonic filer (and i do want to try these out BAD)
i just couldnt convince myself to spend well over 700 dollars on a sub so i made my mind up and i am going to *try* to get 2 shiva-x subs with my tax return. a guy from diycable.com suggest 3.5^3 enclosure, with at least a 50^2 in port tuned to 20 hz. at 3.5 cu. ft i dont think i will be able to fit 2 in there, thats like 7 cubic feet quality amp with 20-25 hz subsonic filter? -- posted image. but i will try!
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

I was seriously considering these woofers, but I just don't have the space and probably not the power.

Looking at these woofers, they really do need a massive amplifier - what is your budget here?

kamberkash wrote:
Anyone know of a good *quality* amp that has a 20-25 hz subsonic filter on it?

While I'm a huge fan of JL's 'slash' amplifiers - here I'd recommend a JL1000/1 - fully variable subsonic filter on that beast - but I do think that 1000watt PDX would be a great choice - not shure about the subsonic filter tho ..

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
with the money i will be saving (because these woofers are CHEAP!) i can afford to go with something thats in the range of $500-$1000. if im not mistaking the 1000/1 is like $1100, right? do you really think this woofer could handle 1000 watts rms? pmax is 600 watts, so i was thinking of goin with the pdx1.600 if it has a subsonic filter...
im open to all suggestions on amps, as long as its a *quality* amp, i dont want some sony, or audiobomb peice-o-dudu.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

kamberkash wrote:
if im not mistaking the 1000/1 is like $1100, right? do you really think this woofer could handle 1000 watts rms

Street price on that amp should be, at most, $850.  I can get it from a bricks-and-mortar dealer down the road for $725, if I pay in cash.  Don't ever pay MSRP for stereo gear - this is just silly.  Don't get me wrong - those Shiva's are priced right, but they have a totally different distribution model than JL gear does.

Anyway - I think you said you wanted a PAIR of Shiva's - so they'd get a solid 500watts a piece, not 1000.  I think the JL1000/1 is a great match to those subs - particularly given the low effiency of that sub - you want a real strong amp backing those - again I really wanted a pair but the low efficiency and large box requirements have convinced me to look elsewhere.

I imagine you could get that PDX amp a bit cheaper than the JL1000, even if you find a good deal.  I seriously doubt a PDX1.600 is going to power a PAIR of Shiva's however - I really wouldn't bother with less than than the PDX1.1000 ...

kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, i will get a pair IF i can fit a box thats over 7 cu ft in my trunk! i havent took a second look yet and actually measured anything yet so i will find out soon.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

What kinda vehicle?

kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
2000 Pontiac Bonneville. its got a massive trunk area, but i do want to use some of it(for things other than a subwoofer box). i need space for my amps and such.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

Yea those things are cavernous.  Still - 7cft is freaking enormous and even if you could fit that external volume into the trunk opening let alone whether or not the internal volume of the trunk would hold the box.  And you car is going to be riding *low* in back ... hehe...

I think perhaps, if you are in love with these Shiva's, you should get a single one - I'd port the enclosure @ 30hz or so.- you'll still have an external volume of some 3.5cft - this is a huge box. That PDX1.600 is a good match for that - but the efficiency is so low on those subs I really wouldn't go with a sealed enclosure - I'd think it'd need huge power numbers to reach higher excursion numbers.  These are nice woofers, but the power requirements and volume requirements give me reservations for these to be used in a car.  They just look like better home subs to me.

kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
one side note about it riding low in the back - it has an air ride system on it that address that exact issue. if something is weighing it down in the trunk, the car turns on the air pump and lifts it back up.cool huh?
anyway, i just got finished taking a look at the trunk, and a 7 cu ft + box just aint happenin. granted, it will fit, but i wont have any space left. so i think im going with just one of these. Now after taking that into consideration, i now have even more money for some amps!
so does anyone know if the pdx has a subsonic filter?
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly is a sub sonic filter anyways? When are they used? I have one on my amp but dont know what it does
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic