icon

Transmission Line Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well Haem could you check the line length here?? I tried and came up with around 100 inches...shouldn't that be around 34Hz??
Transmission Line Enclosure - Page 3 -- posted image.
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Bump Haem??
BTW
OMG...today I took one of my friends 12 Type R's and put it in my T-line.
He has the Best Buy 4 year replacement plan so he wanted to blow his two and get new ones...I said I could help with that
Well I just got back from a HEAVY BEATING SESSION. I mean I threw the full fury of the Elemental Designs Nine.1 at it at 1 ohm and it only gave out some burnt coil smell but still pounds.
I mean first I gave it the usual full blast of "White Girl" and "Hypnotize"...the WHOLE SONG.
Still nothing...so I said aight well lets see if we can bottom it out. Played a 10Hz tone for a FULL MINUTE. No sweat the sub just laughed at us.
Played 20Hz tone for a FULL MINUTE. Ehhh some vc smell but nothing major. Hey how about another minute of some 30Hz tone. Still nothing. The smell came and went. Maybe it was some excess glue.
BUT GOD DAMN...this Type R will NOT DIE. My ears are KILLING. I even played a bunch of Bass songs...the usual stuff you download from limewire when putting in "bass tester" and stuff like that.
I mean 30 minutes of full blast 1200 watts and tones...the sub is still alive and kicking.
wth?? lol
I'll take some vids sunday..I'll be gone for the weekend for a wedding.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
WTH... I thought I HAD posted... Jeez, I'm WAY too busy lately.
Anyway, yes, you should be right around 34Hz with that one, too... Again, pretty high Q, though.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
Since the walls aren't tapered is this a transmission line?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, it is still a TL. The tapering, stuffing, wall treatment, corners, etc., all add to the response characteristics and/or the overall size of the resultant TL, but the line does not have to taper for the enclosure to be called a transmission line.
BTW, azn, that looks like an enclosure for a 15... Is that what you have in mind? I get 11 to 13 cubic feet! (give or take) GAH!!! A bit... ummmmm.... BIG for the car, wouldn't you say!?!?!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
DYon said: Yes, a "speaker at the end of a long tube" can be stuffed and tuned like a transmission line. A true TL uses a tapered line, with the TQWT approach being most common.
I'm a bit confused since the box aznboi has built is identicle to the picture in the post "Bass reflex design" dealing with the qualification of being a T-line enclosure.
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Dyohn also said:
"It's not a transmission line if the size of the port remains constant. If it is the same size from start to finish, it is a bass reflex enclosure."
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
its a transmission line for an 18 inch subwoofer lol
going to take up pretty much all of my cargo area in my explorer
I'm basically going to huge output between 30-60Hz Hopefully.
Its quite big...externally the box should be right around 14.85 cubic feet. haha
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
damn...i remeasured my cargo area..the enclosure has to be smaller.
Max dimensions are 31 deep, 41.5 wide, and 20 tall.
So back to the drawing board...I am going to try to make a stepped tapered line going from 100% Sd down to 30-50% Sd
Haem...what do you mean from that line having a high Q???
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi > embarking on project that has no light at end of tunnel ( Confucius ) 
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic