Transmission Line Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
aznboi > embarking on project that has no light at end of tunnel ( Confucius )
lol...its just an experiment...if it doesn't work out than I'll have learned from it. I'm not expecting anything crazy. If it turns out good than awesome.
I'm planing on building a normal ported enclosure for it also as a backup.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
The Q of the line will be relatively high, without tapering... A high Q line will tend to have a fairly peaky response, and tend to unload faster below resonance.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
so a tapered line will have a smoother flatter response??
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
Generally speaking, yes. It is also what I have discovered in practice as well.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 13, 2008 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
Haem, I finally read two of those articles DYhon posted up. VERY informative. I also dug up some articles my A.R. Baily that were very helpful also as well as a couple others I haven't read yet.
I think I am starting to learn more about transmission lines. There are a some details about them that I am catching onto. Thank you again for those articles. I am starting to realize what stuffing the line does and how it affects the line as well as the correlation between the line length, cross sectional area, and volume.
There is still MUCH to learn as I have only hit the top of the iceberg but I am still learning and have some redesigning to do.
theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
are tl boxes effective if you reverse mount the sub?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

theetimurban wrote:
are tl boxes effective if you reverse mount the sub?

Sure.  Reverse mounting a subwoofer means very little to its performance.

Support the12volt.com
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Weird thing I came across...I reversed the phase of the subwoofer and BAM...the bass was a lot tighter and louder. The sub is hitting "in" now but the bass sounds a lot better...reversing the phase also brought the bass up front more.
haemphyst 
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
That means that at the crossover point of you mid-bass in the doors, your sub was out of phase, and now you have fixed it.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
I always demand a reverse phase test with the subwoofer in the initial days of the setup.  Car audio, home audio, it doesn't matter.  Variable phase adjustment...well, that could take a little longer.  Once you get phase right, you know it.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic