icon

remote start stops responding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mmain1 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

I have recently installed an Audiovox APS-787a with an XK01 immobilizer.  They are connected over d2d.  The first day everything went fine.  Remote Start works, arming/disarming, parking lights, door locks, door triggers, hood trigger.  All tests well.  Remote started several times.  The next morning the system is not responding to Remote start command.  All other commands work great.  Arms fine, Disarms fine, but when trying to remote start it is not turning on any ignition wires, there are no chirps (when working two quick chirps are sounded), but everything else works.  I disconnected the main harness and plugged it back in, reprogrammed the tach, and everything is back to working again for several times.  Next day, not working again.  Disconnect power, reprogram tach, back to working.  This has been the case everyday.

I called Audiovox and they immediately associated this problem with an antenna recall that they issued about a year ago.  However, there is a technical bulletion on techservices.audiovox.com that details how to distinguish an updated antenna from a defective one.  I checked mine out and it matched the updated antenna.

I have checked both the negative and positive shutdown wires while it is in this failure state and they are fine.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Any ideas?

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
i heard there were many problems with d2d with audivox products. but never experianced it first hand.
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
It could be your hoodpin or brake wire. If keyless works, and remote starting does nothing, it might be a shutdown wire that is activated. When you notice it stops working, grab your meter and test your brake and hood wires. If brake shows 12v+, or your hood pin shows a ground, theres your problem
mmain1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
That was definitely one of the first things that I have done.  For troubleshooting sake I have them disconnected and I have measured them at the back of the main harness and no voltage on the brake shutdown wire, and hood pin doesn't ohm to ground.  I am starting to think I may have a faulty xk01 module.  I decided to try abadoning the d2d and hardwiring it.  When I ground the "ground when running" wire and give the remote start command the truck turns over and sounds as if it's going to start and then stops and the Passlock light comes on.  So it seems that the xk01 is not defeating the Passlock system when I try the hardwire.
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

what kind of vehicle is this on?

The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
mmain1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

Oops, I can't believe I left out that little detail...

2005 GMC Sierra 4-door

luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
ive had a few problems with these vehicles kind of in the same matter. ive used the resistor trick and bypasses on these vehicles and the ones with the problem never really worked right. thru my research ive come to the understanding that the ignition switch itself is jumping resistance. now i dont know this for a fact but i talked to a few GM techs and a few rs guys in the area and thats the best answer we can find. maybe the guys on here can confirm this or say im wrong. i would love to know myself
The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
mmain1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
It seems like the evidence is pointing to scrap the d2d.  So I tried hooking it up hardwire and it's not defeating the Passlock system.  If I hook the d2d back up it does.  I can't figure out why the d2d is bypassing correctly, but the hardwire isn't.  Yes I did remove the d2d cable because I know that it ignores signals from the hardwires if it is connected d2d.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have found that a week ground will cause audiovox starters to become unresponsive.
mmain1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Update on this:

The ground when running wire was not working because only unplugging the d2d cable was not enough.  It also needed to be reset (option 8).  I suppose this is because the xk01 disables the analog connections when using d2d, and removing the cable and cycling power is not enough to re-enable the analog connections.

Once I corrected this problem I hooked up all the analog connections and all seems well.  For anyone planning to use d2d with Audiovox module I would warn against it from my experience and from reading several other posts, it just isn't bulletproof yet.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic