icon

exide megacycle agm 200

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

I mean the hazard here is really theoretical - and lead acid batteries start sloshing around - audibly - after a few months of use (if not when they're purchased).

I've heard some things - totally anecdotal but this kind of stuff scares me - of fumes emenating from them, etc.  I would NOT keep a lead acid battery in the passenger compartment or the trunk.  I mean what if you got in a bad accident and thing ruptured on a passenger - they'd be scared for life if not posioned to death.  The thing could catch fire, explode - I dunno. 

I'd get the specialty dry-cell batteries from Optima or even Kinetik - it would be my purchase.  I believe they would be technically better for your application mostly because of the way they handle voltage spikes - not so much because of technical capacity.  Like I said, the rest of my reasoning is more abject paranoia . . .

I mean, I'm really scared of global warming, too.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
Ya well looks like i am going to go to the optima or kinetik option. thanks for your advice man i feel everything that your saying i am returning the battery today
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
hows this battery?
http://www.remybattery.com/Products/Deka-Intimidator-Battery---9A31__9A31.aspx
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

From what I've read, the exide battery he has and the Optimas are all lead acid based AGM batteries.. WRT construction, they're all built the same way.

Jim

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

Mad Scientists wrote:
From what I've read, the exide battery he has and the Optimas are all lead acid based AGM batteries..

exide megacycle agm 200 - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Yup!  I read the "lead acid" part without the "AGM" part.  I was up all night reading about the differences and technical design - although I still have major reservations about the Exides.

I still wouldn't put the things in my car.

mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Well I did end up returning it sooo ill probably go to the optima or kinetik route. any opinions on the DEKA intiminator?
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

mazzasec wrote:
any opinions on the DEKA intiminator

Yea.  Go to the optima or kinetik route.

My feelings on the subject are simply that this is a very, very critical part of your stereo (and car).  Don't cheap out.  Buy the name brand.  Sometimes you want the name brand - and this is one of those times!  I've been through ALOT of batteries - a few fishing trawlers/marine batts like the excides when I felt like I really needed to save the money, I was never happy dude I'm tellin ya- the ONLY battery that has EVER stood up to my JL amps is my Optima Yellow.  They are just better.  I die by that brand.

Have you priced a pair of Yellows at Advance Auto or Pep Boys?  They can't possibly be more than 10 or 20 more than the Excides were!

I've never seen them priced up at $280 anywhere.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
That battery should do fine...its an AGM battery so there shouldn't be any worry about spillage or gases.
kinetiks are agm
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic