icon

class d amplifiers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s_goodie 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
if your searching for a class d amplfier what is a few things to look for other than the it just saying it on the amp
Stuey BABE
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
What do you mean?  Are you concerned that what you're buying is not really Class D?
Support the12volt.com
s_goodie 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
yes that is exactly what i amp concerned about beacuse im really into car stereos and alot of people ask me things on what to look at fora good class d amp and i really am not sure
Stuey BABE
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
"What to look for in a good class D amp" is the same exact things to look for in any amp.  There is a sticky post at the top of the forum about choosing amplifiers.  I suggest the best way to know if an amplifier is "really class D" or not is to only purchase reputable brand names from authorized dealers.
Support the12volt.com
darkenigma 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
i want to know if anyone knows if the powerzone crunch PZI 3000.1D really does what it says it does. and for that matter if all the crunch and hifonics amps live up to their claims.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
No. No, they don't. SLIGHTLY higher caliber than Swap-O-Rama gear. I'd never buy anything with those badges on it...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

s_goodie wrote:
beacuse im really into car stereos and alot of people ask me things on what to look at fora good class d amp and i really am not sure

class d just means a type of input that reduces the power consumed for reproducing bass-notes - over a class a/b design they save a bunch of electricity - however, because of the way class d amps are designed, they cannot reproduce frequencies much higher than the standard octaves for a subwoofer system - this is why you don't see a "class d 4-channel" 

- well - JL's got some magic in the works but nothing yet.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:
s_goodie wrote:
beacuse im really into car stereos and alot of people ask me things on what to look at fora good class d amp and i really am not sure
class d just means a type of input that reduces the power consumed for reproducing bass-notes - over a class a/b design they save a bunch of electricity - however, because of the way class d amps are designed, they cannot reproduce frequencies much higher than the standard octaves for a subwoofer system - this is why you don't see a "class d 4-channel"
I really hope that you are kidding with that answer...
Class D is ANY group of amplifier (including Tri-Path, Class "T", and ICEPower) that uses a full rail-voltage swing, between off and on, in a high frequency PWM method (some amplifiers, up to 350,000 pulses per second class d amplifiers -- posted image.) to drive the speaker cone. While the Tri-Path and the ICEPower use PWM, they adjust the output frequency dynamically, based on the analog frequency. This is claimed to allow for a more effective damping ratio. The reason for the efficiency ratings that you see, is because the output devices are ALWAYS either fully ON, or fully OFF, therefore there is VERY minimal voltage drop (or zero, when in the "off" state) across the device, thus, very minimal heat. Alpine, Eclipse, JL, and I think even Zapco ALL offer full-range Class D amplifiers. Spectron, a home amplifier manufacturer builds full-range Class D, (and were the first to do so, IIRC) and their amplifiers are regarded as some of the best sounding amplifiers in the world today!
Class D is no longer relegated to low-frequency use.
BTW, the "D" in Class D, does NOT mean "digital". It simply happened to be the next letter in the alphabet to be used to describe the next amplifier class.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
sedate wrote:
s_goodie wrote:
I really hope that you are kidding with that answer...
Class D is ANY group of amplifier (including Tri-Path, Class "T", and ICEPower) that uses a full rail-voltage swing, between off and on, in a high frequency PWM method (some amplifiers, up to 350,000 pulses per second class d amplifiers -- posted image.) to drive the speaker cone. While the Tri-Path and the ICEPower use PWM, they adjust the output frequency dynamically, based on the analog frequency. This is claimed to allow for a more effective damping ratio. The reason for the efficiency ratings that you see, is because the output devices are ALWAYS either fully ON, or fully OFF, therefore there is VERY minimal voltage drop (or zero, when in the "off" state) across the device, thus, very minimal heat. Alpine, Eclipse, JL, and I think even Zapco ALL offer full-range Class D amplifiers. Spectron, a home amplifier manufacturer builds full-range Class D, (and were the first to do so, IIRC) and their amplifiers are regarded as some of the best sounding amplifiers in the world today!
Class D is no longer relegated to low-frequency use.
BTW, the "D" in Class D, does NOT mean "digital". It simply happened to be the next letter in the alphabet to be used to describe the next amplifier class.

x2.

I can tell you from personal experience that class d amps with the ICEPower chipsets are perfectly capable of reproducing the entire frequency range . I have 2 of the new Eclipse XA4000's(which are indeed fullrange class d 4 channel amps), and they are currently pushing my DLS midbasses and Focal tweeters(freq. range of ~80hz to about 20khz) - it sounds fantastic. Class D amps are no longer limited to sub dutyclass d amplifiers -- posted image.

-Matt

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

heamph wrote:

Are you trying to beat me over the head with syllabes? 

Okay look heamph - this is a fantastic explanation - admittedly much more complete than mine my sort of nibbling Best Buy-clerk-style explanation, I think we both know that the basic idea behind a class D amplifier was, and is still marketed as, a low(er)-cost, higher-efficiency amplifier for driving subwoofers.  This is changing I suppose - I don't particularly follow Alpine or Eclipse - I think both make *ugly* gear - but JL does NOT offer any full range class D amplifiers - not thier original amplifiers, not the E, A, TMA, or G series - only the upcoming HD series, due around June I believe. 

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=239

Anyway, I was speaking in broad generalities, responding to a generalized question about the overall state of car audio class D amplifiers.  I think if we take a look at our OP:

s_goodie wrote:

Is he looking for a broad explanation about what a class d amplifier is as a mainstay of car audio? 

Or a polysyllabic white paper about specialized, spendy gear which has just been released in the past few months and does NOT represent a particularly large swath of car audio installations?  Or maybe information about home gear that runs on a 120v circuit?

Could you dumb it down for us slower people and explain why class D amplifers were one relegated to subwoofer use and have very recently been expanded?  What changed?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic