icon

class d amplifiers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s_goodie 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
oh its fine no big deal i would preffer jl anayways like everyone argued about but the thing is i dont have 5000 dollars 
Stuey BABE
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:

greenbronco wrote:
What does it matter who you were replying to?

Because you admit the explanation is over your head.

What does the fact that the first correct explaination was over my head have to do with your response being wrong and misinforming to the OP?

sedate wrote:

greenbronco wrote:
Here is an article written on PWM power supplies and class d amps, and there is some full range info in there as well

Heh you posted something helpful!  And look - free of useless, proprietary acronyms like "ICE" that came from a marketing department!  Thanks bronco, I'll enjoy looking that over.

You're welcome, seriously. If you look on the home page of that site, there are a lot more topics of discussion on there to look over that are very informing. And they're easy to understand, even for lamens such as you and meclass d amplifiers - Page 3 -- posted image..

sedate wrote:

s_goodie wrote:
YOUR ALL WAY TO DAMN CONFUSING  FORGET MY QUESTION I GUESS

Dude.  I'm really, really sorry. 

Class D amplifiers were *originally* (have to be careful for rousing the peanut gallery) designed (as implemented in the car audio world, I know nothing of where they really came from) as a solution for high wattage amplifiers in a 12v, low voltage environment.  They are substantially more efficient - less voltage in, less heat, etc. - than other amplifiers that push your cabin speakers.  This allows weaker electrical sources - like the alternator in a car - to power high wattage subwoofers.  This is really the distinction I look for when I see "class D"

I have now learned, this has been expanded very recently - it appears by Fujitsu with thier Eclipse subsidiary first - then by Alpine and now JL.  This technology seems to hold much promise.

If I were looking at a traditional class D amplifier, look at efficiency ratings - something on the order of 80% or so I believe is a tidy number for a quality class D amplifier.  However, in terms of your OP, you generally want to select an amplifier from a quality manufacturer - Alpine, Eclipse, JL, any of the brands we've been arguing over are good places to start.

A (traditional) class-D amplifier is an amplifier that is more efficient than a traditional, full-range amplifier (class a or class a/b) and thus good for high wattage applications where input power is limited - but is restricted in that it cannot play speakers other than subwoofers.  There are a few exceptions to this definition, but I wouldn't consider them important enough to discuss - as we clearly lost you in our petty one-ups-manship.  Again, I'm sorry.

Are there specific amplifiers you are thinking of?  Could you link to them?

I'm sorry we argued all over your honest question.

Why do you continue to steer this guy away from class d amps? I don't understand how this can be so hard to wrap your head around; there's nothing wrong wth the design of full range class d amps, and they aren't that much(if any) more expensive than a regular class A or class a/b. And they are loads more efficient, which means they are less of a load on the electrical system - where does the fault lie? There are PLENTY of examples of excellent, affordable FULL RANGE CLASS D amps out there that are certainly worth mentioning.

Look, to the Op I apologize for all the ranting and raving cluttering up your thread, I really am. But if you want a complete answer to your question, follow the 2nd link I provided. The information is very simple to follow, even for someone who may not be farmiliar with amplifier design at all.

s_goodie wrote:
yes here is a link http://www1.epinions.com/Pyramid_PB1644X_4000_Watt_4_Channel_Bridgeable_MOSFET_Amplifier_Car_Audio_Amplifier
 i have recently had an offer for this amp for really cheap and wondered if it is any good and if it is class d beacuse that is what i usually look for when puchasing an amp

Please, please stay way the hell away from this amp. It's not even a class d as sedate mentioned, and is there is a reason it's "pretty cheap". If the amp is a class d, it will say somewhere in the description. But please look for a better brand...

s_goodie wrote:
oh its fine no big deal i would preffer jl anayways like everyone argued about but the thing is i dont have 5000 dollars 

You don't need $5000, or any over-priced JL Audio gear. There are several manufacturers out there that make quality equipment for much less money. Eclipse/Alpine/Kicker/ect. all make strong amps that won't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe a better option would be for you to post up your budget if you're looking for something specific and we can help you out from there(hopefully civily...). Again, I apologize for taking your thread off topic and hacking it up with bickering.

-Matt

s_goodie 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
i have around 130 for an amp and ih ave 2 12inch type r"s
Stuey BABE
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

s_goodie wrote:
i have around 130 for an amp and ih ave 2 12inch type r"s

I'll have to look for you when I get home tonight, as I'm still at work and can't search much. You probably should consider upping your budget a little, but I'm sure we can find something to fit. IIRC there are some Kicker refurb's on Ebay that I have heard good reviews about, but I'm not sure about the price.

-Matt

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

With the budget you have, you are looking at flea market type amplifiers with over exaggerated claims of out of this world power ratings. Your best bet is to wait and save up and get a QUALITY BRAND NAME amplifier and not run out and purchase the only amp that you can afford right now because you just have to have subs running. This is a effort in futility and a total waste of your money that you will never get back. Buy it once, do it right the first time. Quit looking at Kwality gear and start looking at respectable equipment.

ICEpower class D is available from Eclipse, Alpine and Pioneer and now perhaps a few others. I am one that has used these full range class D amplifiers from both Eclipse (XA series) and Pioneer (Premiere series) with stunning results. There is absolutely no need to tell a person that they will not work for a full range application at all. Are there other options, yes there may be, the trick is to know what is the right amplifier for the application.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

Just to add to this parade, the confusion about Class D full range amps is completely understandable.  When switching amps were first introduced, they produced so much high frequency noise that they were really only suitable for the bass octaves, and thus the first commercially available Class D amps were dedicated subwoofer amps.  In the last few years, power supplies and filters have gotten better and IC speeds have increased to the point where the switching noise is beyond the limits of human hearing, and full-range class D appeared.

I have a very nice set of full-range Class D home audio amps (from a company called Red Dragon) that are superb sounding.  The Eclipse and Alpine Class D car audio amps are super (I have not heard the Pioneer version yet.)

As far as choosing an amp, I agree completely with the advice given by forbidden above.  Read it, follow it.  class d amplifiers - Page 3 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

A good place to check on what amps are comparable to others would be ampguts.com. find the amp you are looking for, & usually they will have it also listed as another. not always the case though.

$130 is a tough $$ for a decent amp. You will be looking at more entry level amps, try Interfire (IFD1000C, A1000D, IB2900 or IB2950), Crossfire, HiFonics, Zapco Iforce (at this price it will be used), Memphis PR line of amps.

I usually recommend straying away form Poweracoustik, though they have one amp that is a real powerhouse......I wanna say it is the SPL5000? (at work & cannot check ampguts myself)

There is really no reason the have to stay with Class D. For the most part Class D amps are dirtier power (usually rated at 1%thd, instead at .005 like high $ amps), usually limited to bass freqs. due to the amount of switching required for them to create higher freq. (I beleive they have to switch 4 times the freq. played....trying to remember amp 101 off the top of my head). Most of the time, folks like the ease of use of Class D amps, because of the power they make at lower ohm loads (a decent class D amp will run at 1 ohm just fine, MOST (not all) Class A/AB don't like running at 1ohm).

So, long post made even longer, good tips for choseing a class D amp:

Efficiency of 80% of greater, THD+N no greater than 1% @ rated power, 1 ohm stable, Signal to noise ratio of at least 80db's, & from a reputable brand, try for a CEA2006 rated amp

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
ibasspro 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

for the peanut gallery, concerning my above post.

I gave info that will help him for HIS budget. telling him about xtant (being the first to actually release a full range Class D...lol any1 remember the cigarette pack amp?) does nothing to help his current decision. listing very expensive alternatives, that are obiously above what he is prepared to spend, only makes him feel worse about not having much disposeable income.

I do not beleive we need to act like we are all knowing all seeing 12V gods in every question we answer, most of the time a short, but accurate respoce is all most posters are looking for.....LOL and with my spelling shorter answers mean less miss spelled words :)

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Alpine, Eclipse, JL, and I think even Zapco ALL offer full-range Class D amplifiers.

and Lanzar   class d amplifiers - Page 3 -- posted image.

darkenigma 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2008 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

ok i have 2 questions. if the ma audio hk802sx worth buyin? and if so i know  its .5 ohm stable. but is it brigdeable at .5 ohm and about how much watts itd get that way if possible. i want to get this amp cause i can get it for around 500 bucks maybe less new.

2 X 500W RMS @ 4-OHM STEREO

2 X 800W RMS @ 2-OHM STEREO

2 X 1400W RMS @ 1-OHM STEREO

2 X 2200W RMS @ 0.5-OHM STEREO

1 X 4400W RMS @ 1-OHM BRIDGED

if not then would the ma audio hk4000d be worth the buy for around the same price?

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic