icon

will cell phone trigger motion sensor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mmain1 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 508d motion sensor installed in my 2005 GMC Sierra.  It has been installed for about a week and no problems until tonight.  It has falsed twice tonight and the second time I saw a cat close to the truck when i looked out the window.  So assuming that it was set so sensitive that the cat triggered it by walking underneath the truck, I went out to unplug it for the neighbors sake and mess with it some other time.  When I went to unplug it I realized that I left my cell phone in the cup holder 2 inches directly above the sensor.  So cat or cell phone?
corrysmtx 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
definatley cat unless your phone has a super vibrate mode
1 12" mtx 9500 4ohm dvc 1 8100d and 1 1501d almost loud enough to cover the sounds of my car dying.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

The digital phone should not trigger your microwave sensor....15 or so years ago when the cell phone was analog. It would trigger ALL DAY!

I would make sure it was indeed the motion sensor that set the alarm off.

jaybizz 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  
definately the cat. if u want, what i normally do with 508d's is i put a switch on the green wire(outer parimeter) so that if your in a busy area you can switch it off so it doesn't false trigger.
alarm king
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Yea but doesnt your alarm have a pre warn trigger input which the pre warn wire from the motion sensor would run into? If your alarm does have a pre warn trigger and you have the microwave sensor installed correctly, then there is no reason why a cat running under your vehicle should trigger your alarm. You must have the interior set too sensitive
mmain1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, again though I don't know that a cat going underneath it was the cause of the alarm.  I only assume that as a possibility because I saw a cat in my front yard shortly as the 2nd false trigger.  And I have to assume that the cat went under the truck or possibly climbed on the roof because it was a full alarm and not a pre-warn.  But I thought that a metal floor pan would have blocked the pattern from going to below the truck.  I'm sure the inner zone is too sensitive.  I set the sensitivity of both zones with the windows down and cup holders removed.  If I stuck my hand in the rolled down window it alarmed and if I waved my hand outside the rolled down window it pre-warned.  But with the cupholders installed and windows rolled up it wouldn't even pre-warn when I put my hands and face to the window.  So I adjusted with the window up and was satisfied with the results when i was done, but I wasn't able to test the interior zone with the window up so it is probably much to sensitive.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Put the phone back in the same position, set the alarm and call the phone. If that doesn't set it off go find the cat and lure him back under the truck.
mmain1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
That's ironic! The night that this was happening I told my wife that I needed to borrow someones cat so we could throw it to each other under the truck!
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

Have any of you guys noticed a strange buzz in your sound system or lines on your TV just before you cell phone rings?

Enough radiation comes off the cell phone to induce current into wires that could set off the alarm, also, if the cell transmits anything close to the fequency that the sensor uses, it will activate.  Tie the phone to the cat.

mmain1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

OK,

I used my ninja skillz to catch a cat.  Then I taped the phone to the cat.  I had my wife call the phone and I threw the cat under the truck.  The alarm did not go off.  The cat took off and now I don't have a phone anymore.  The alarm didn't go off but I'm not sure how effective of a test this way since the cat landed and ran to the back of the truck instead of across the mid-section.

Oh well, thanks for all your help!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic