icon

2 12's sealed box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rushman2112 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
at the time I did not fiberglass. like you I wasnt too familiar with it so I just used 1/2 MDF & cut it at just the right angle so it fit out facing upwards a bit & covered it with material that matched the doors. If you have the tools and time , glassing them would be a more unique and custom look for your ride. Looking at your box it appears as you have some skills there. Might work out for you. Good Luck
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  

tezjet wrote:
I think I will rammat the doors since that has been suggested twice now.

This is a huge, cheap improvement - particualrly with older vehicles anyway.  rammat, dynamat, second skin, these are all good solutions here.

tezjet wrote:
I am really reading into fiberglassing here on the forums, but am a little hesitant thato my lack of experience with any such thing.

Looking at that gorgeous tapered (how'd u taper it like that anyway?), ported enclosure I'd have to agree that you can handle kickpods.  Figure you'd have to build them twice - once to make mistakes and get the idea - and once to make perfect.  These are sort of hands-on type of thing.  Anyway - you can get experience if ya don't bone up and make it work eh!

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
tezjet 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
haha, true true. Me and my brother built that vented box and the taper was actually way easier than it looks(as long as you have the tools). To do the taper, setup the table saw where the blade is *almost* through the wood(very touchy and takes a kind of feel. make sure there is NO CRACKING, if there is then raise the blade). I used a piece of scrap and did a couple testers and was very happy with the results. Run it at a set increment 10 times. Mine was a 3 inch radius so we cut it 3/8(sawblade eats up 1/8) 10 times then just gave the wood a good bend and the inside smushed together forming a pretty tough edge, and the outside is that awesome tapered look.(My brother has some build pics I will get my hands on and post)
Spring break is in two weeks, so I am gonna order up some fiberglass supplys and will post my results and pics after I make a few attempts 2 12's sealed box - Page 3 -- posted image.
Thanks again guys. I appreciate all comments/suggestions.
~Steve
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Nice work, tezjet.  I like that style.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tezjet 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Any suggestions on what type of fiberglass and resin would best suit my situation? I plan on messing up once or twice, so based on that how much might I need? I live in So-Cal if that makes a difference. Also I don't mind ordering stuff online but shipping + cost = more than gas and a local shop. Any suggestions where to get some quality stuff?
Thanks,
~Steve
rushman2112 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
you can easily go to the local Home Depot or Lowes hardware stores and they will have fiberglass kits and supplies usually in the paint department. They sell the stuff for fiberglass tub repairs but works just as good for your aplication. You will also need to get small amount of Fleece fabric from fabric or sewing store. Wal-marts even have it there. I believe somewhere on this web site you can buy or view instructional video's on glassing. Some of the other long time experts here can guide you in that direction.
tezjet 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I found a few really good tutorials, but there was no actual names of materials. I will cruise down to the depot this weekend and see what I can find. THANKS!
~Steve
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

Bondo brand fiberglass - sold in quarts - at Home Depot or Lowes.  Get yourself an extra tube of hardner - the little tube that comes with the quart isn't enough for the whole quart.

You can use fleece or regular fiberglass mat - *anything* pourous works as a substrate.

Post up build pics of that taper.

Good luck.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  
Sedate...its not a taper. Its called "kerf cuts"
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic