1994 Lexus LS400, Stereo Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
neofate 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2008 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys..

I am copying this post from a lexus forum I frequent as this seems to be where the experts hang out.  I apologize if I am doing anything out of protocol here as this is my first post on this forum.  I look forward to any answers/tips you guys can provide!

Car Owned: 1994 LS 400

Current System: Factory Pioneer Deck. (Has Tape/Radio only)

Specifications I have researched/been answered:  4 main speakers are 4" in size.  It is that simple in the 94.  The sub is a Freeair 8" woofer.

My expectations:  A better sound than factory, but nothing extremely 'loud' or monster 'bass'.  So just a few notches up from the factory system.

Current Plans:  Purchase 4, 4ohm 4inch speakers to replace the 4 factory speakers.  Purchase one 8inch IB/Freeair Subwoofer at 200-300RMS -- Purchase one amp at 200-300 Watts RMS (Sub at 2ohms).  Purchase: Aftermarket Doubledin Size CD Player, with 20-25WattsRMS x 4 at 4ohms.

Need help with:

1) Wiring -- Every speaker is a direct replacement, same size, no modification needed.  Plug and play.  I wish to use factory wiring on the 4 regular 4inch speakers if this is possible.  (Is it?)  -- Can I use a Toyota wiring harness to connect my new CD player to the existing wiring and the 4 new 4inch speakers function off my new Deck that runs 20-25watts RMS?  (The speakers will be bought to run off of 20-25Watts RMS).

2) Wiring of Sub:  -- I am also hoping I can obtain the Signal for the sub from the factory wiring behind the deck.  Where I can tap into the wiring either in front of or behind the factory amplifier going to the sub right now.  (Basically so my wiring would consist of the following:

3) External Wiring Required: -- Power cable from batter to amplifier (fuse box for amplifier).  -- Utilize factory wire going into the Amplifier that currently runs stock Sub, splice into it and run this wire into new aftermarket amp for the signal.  Then from this aftermarket amp run Wires/RCA's to the Sub itself.  (Again the sub will get its signal from the sub wire already in place that runs from factory deck to sub amp.  (This wire will also be tapped into the Aftermarket Deck for the signal of course, but hopefully so I can control sub volume from the new Deck (not essential but would be nice).

4) -- So basically I am hoping it is possible to use factory wiring for everything,.. The only wiring I will have to do myself is after I bypass the stock amplifier going to sub and running a wire from there to Amp, and amp to Sub.  (Plus power cable) and Harness wiring in dash behind deck).

5) -- Fabrication -- I've been told the doubledin units do not come close to fitting the slot that will be left behind with factory deck taken out.  I will have to fabricate a custom plate for the new aftermarket DoubleDin unit despite what unit I purchase.  (What are good materials for this?  Any 'kits' that make the job easier than it has to be?)

That about sums it up.

I guess the only question mark is,.. besides the sub amp, are there any other amplifiers STOCK that I am unaware of? -- I asked above, but will the factory wiring will be fine for aftermarket replacement 4inch speakers that will run off the aftermarket 4-ohm 25wattx4 Deck?  (Not even asking about quality of wire here, this is just to prevent having to run any additional wiring for these 4 speakers).

I ask all of this so I can be confident in knowing what lay before me, and that I can order the appropriate speakers/amps/deck and any kits (wiring/harnesses/cables) that I will need.
---

The DoubleDin headunit/deck I haven't decided exactly on which unit but I see MANY units for 200'ish dollars I can purchase that fit the description.

The sub I am considering is:

For its IB capability (trying an easy stock swap here )

The amp considering:

I really want to run my 4, 4inch aftermarket speakers off the new headunit I buy -- So I haven't picked these out, but if you guys have any recommendations for what I am after feel free to make link recommendations.

I am on a low budget here,.. and just want a TOUCH over factory sound,.. No major system, so this is why I can expect to get away with $600 or so in parts and do the labor myself and have a decently sounding factory'ish sound.

I'd love to bring this to a shop and get all this and installed for that kind of money but everyone is telling me that I would never find the prices I can find online, and installation will be ALOT at any shop.. So this is where I currently stand.

Thanks so much for your time,

-Neofate
neofate 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,.. experts of the field.

If you know anything about factory systems that use their own amplifiers and have built in subs from factory -- Please read on.  If that is out of your league, then just ignore it :)

Anyhow..

I have a 1994 LS 400 -- If you know anything about this cars sound system,.. It has a Pioneer Deck in it,.. It has either 1 or 2 amps.  I am positive it has at least one separate amp for the 8inch sub in the rear deck (above headrests on seats, in center).  It might have another amp for the 4 door speakers.

I have searched and searched.  Alot of people say , NO it is not possible to buy an aftermarket head unit and wire it into the factory Speakers and amps.  Basically just buying an aftermarket CDplayer and having it use the existing speakers -- In this case, using the amp(s) and 4 door speakers and the 8inch sub.

But, I have found several people who say -- It is ABSOLUTELY possible to wire an aftermarket head unit and use the factory amp(s) and 5 speakers.  They give the basic fundamentals of why it is possible, and that they have done just that, but they don't go into detail.

This is where you guys come in.

Given that setup -- I have heard if I buy a headunit with the proper 'specs' .. like certain Preouts for sub, and other things -- It makes this not only possible, but a much easier wiring job. -- It also limits the wiring to just wiring behind the deck, and absolutely NO running of wires is required from front to back, etc.

So my two question are:

1) What specifications do I need to look for on the aftermarket DoubleDin headunit for this to be the easiest job?  Pre-outs, and whatever else you guys know of that make the install job so much easier in such a situation.  (I know someone has wired into a factory amped system or two in their day).

2) How, exactly, (or however precise you can be), would I go about wiring this supposed Headunit into the factory wiring.  (Ie: Which kits should I buy, and go ahead and pick out a headunit if you want to and link it -- I will go with function over looks for this setup.  So I absolutely WILL go with what the pro's recommend. -- )

Thats it.

Just another little tidbit here:  I originally had planned on buying an aftermarket sub to replaced the stock 8inch, and an amp to power that aftermarket sub, along with door speakers, and allowing the Headunit to power these door speakers.  My budget was around $600 (which is doable on a self install).

However,.. now that I'm going to *JUST* a headunit, period.. I have $600 to spend on one.  Which nowadays it plenty to buy a fairly high grade unit online, (not in stores of course) -- though I don't want to spend 500-600 just because I have it.. I'd still like to find one for 200-300 that has all of the specs I need for this to wire up and work like I know it *can* be done.

Thank you so much.. If you would rather email anything please do at: jaredguess@gmail.com

Take care,

-Neofate
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
just buy some rca cords and wire them on to the toyota wire harness your gonna buy and then plug them into the back of some cheap ass deck...if your worried about noise get your self a high grade (soundgate) hi to lo converter and run that inbetween the deck and your wiring, its probably a bit unnecessary but hey its diy right? i highly doubt youll get control over that 8 inch sub but it might play, is this a lexus two door coupe that your doing this with? you could always just rip the amp out and wire direct the amp is in the far right front corner of your trunk (i think, and im pretty sure its nakamichi or someshizzle isnt it?
neofate 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
snotdobbs wrote:
just buy some rca cords and wire them on to the toyota wire harness your gonna buy and then plug them into the back of some cheap ass deck...if your worried about noise get your self a high grade (soundgate) hi to lo converter and run that inbetween the deck and your wiring, its probably a bit unnecessary but hey its diy right? i highly doubt youll get control over that 8 inch sub but it might play, is this a lexus two door coupe that your doing this with? you could always just rip the amp out and wire direct the amp is in the far right front corner of your trunk (i think, and im pretty sure its nakamichi or someshizzle isnt it?

Ok, I really have to have control , (well rather I need the sub to 'play' -- Absolute control over the sub isn't mandatory.. just so long as the factory amp gets the proper digital signal to make it work).

I was thinking (and I'm a novice) that I would get a Head unit that had a few sets of Pre-outs -- (which are RCA's right) ?  I could use one of those, perhaps, to tie into the Sub cable.  I think the sub cable behind the deck is a Blue single RCA cable.  (Think that would work for the sub) ?

The rest of the speakers, I don't know if they are amped or not.  If they aren't then I'd run them off the headunit of course, if they are amped,.. I hope just wiring into the Toyota Harness from Deck would magically be 'right' and make them play. 

I'm just trying to buy a deck, and have all my speakers factory work like they do now with the factory deck.  Seems simple enough, but I know it can get complicated with factory amps and so on. 

Which is why I come here, a forum of experts, maybe someone who has done a Lexus LS 400 before will chime in here.  Would be great.

Thanks for the response.

-Neofate

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic