icon

destroying enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
The cost of fiberglass mat/cloth and resin out weighs the cost for a sheet of 3/4" MDF though.
I don't trust mounting my 18 inch sub to 1/2" MDF. 1/2" will flex even with fiberglass and resin if it is not braced well.
I'm not saying your enclosures are weak. But for me part of having a sturdy enclosure is weight.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Actually weight by itself means nothing.
Support the12volt.com
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi wrote:

The cost of fiberglass mat/cloth and resin out weighs the cost for a sheet of 3/4" MDF though.

I don't trust mounting my 18 inch sub to 1/2" MDF. 1/2" will flex even with fiberglass and resin if it is not braced well.
I'm not saying your enclosures are weak. But for me part of having a sturdy enclosure is weight.

Hehe - my enclosure are super-duper-strong - unless I miss a critical joint with a deck screw!

Okay - aznboi - come on an 18 is a totally irregular install situation! 

Anywho - I agree - heft is preferable - but the thing has to go into a car! Saving weight has so many beneficial impacts that I willingly spend the extra $40 or so on materials for fiberglass to cut 20 - 40 lbs from a moving vehicle!  I betcha you'd save twice that over a year in increased fuel costs. 

Anyway - for nominal install situations, 1/2 MDF and even a cursory coat of fiberglass resin is, I maintain, quite perferable to 3/4 MDF given all the trade-offs that go into the equation.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Actually weight by itself means nothing.
Density correct DYohn??
I may try using 1/2" MDF for 10" and 12" enclosures. I still need to learn how to fiberglass...I've done a lot of reading up on fiberglassing but I just never have time to mess around with it...Hopefully this summer I can learn.
Actually using 1/2 inch material would help with my back not breaking trying to lift big enclosures lol.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
All I know is that I copied my box off another box thats 5/8" think. That box was used for years and the box never broke except at the joints which werent even square nor joined tightly together. My box is 100% square and the joints fit very tightly together. Use titebond and staples. I think it will be ok. If a box that wasnt made very good made it several years, my box should be fine.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  

aznboi wrote:
I still need to learn how to fiberglass...I've done a lot of reading up on fiberglassing but I just never have time to mess around with it...Hopefully this summer I can learn.

I don't mean anything fancy - no glass mat or special shapes - I think that stuff looks silly anyway and I can't imagine the amount of material I'd go through trying to make somethin that looks nice - I just paint the stuff inside of all my enclosures when I'm done building them - works wonders for sealing joints and MDF absorbs the stuff really well - very pourous, MDF makes an outstanding substrate.  I'll generally use a quart of resin and two tubes of hardner for an enclosure meant for a pair of 12's.  Like I said, I can't imagine the thing is any less acoustically viable than a heavier 3/4 brethern, and at some 50% weight savings!

aznboi wrote:
Actually using 1/2 inch material would help with my back not breaking trying to lift big enclosures lol.

Yea that TL you built musta weighed a freakin ton!  It hurt just looking at it.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
aznboi3644 
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah...I would guess that T-line for that one 12 I weighs over 80 lbs unloaded.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic