icon

hooking up a 4 channel amp to the high’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dream sound 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
hello it's been a while since i've hooked up a 4 channel amp to the high's so someone please help me out     thank you
Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
rca's from headunit, speaker wires either staright to speakers or to factory radio harnes{just like if the radio was powering the highs].  rca's and power on opposite sides of the vehicle.  shortest ground possible
If you say "I already know how", don't ask me a single question.
ya boy mike 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
If running the speaker wires to the radio harness make sure and cut the speaker wires in the harness and then hook the speaker wires coming from your amp to the speaker side of the wires in the harness, if that makes sense. If you do not cut the wires sll that wattage will be going into your head unit, which will most likely burn something up.
It Hz
12jiggawatts 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure to mount your amp in a safe location and also check for clearance. do not run your power wires outside of the veh. and make sure you use a gromet so the wire does not touch ground if going threw a firewall. Test at low volume then check settings on amp. Remote wire, ground, power check wiring for proper gauge and any defects.
Let me do my job, then you can enjoy my work and thank me. :)
antifork 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure the RCA cables are ran with a ground loop filter to reduce engine noise. If you get engine noise just take out the RCA cables and run speaker cables straight from the head unit to the amp,that would use the filter from the radio.
Just cut ur frame and drag the thing!
Doyledee 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
I just got through putting a 4 ch sony amp in my neices jeep. 4 guage power from the batt, 4 guage for ground, 8 guage for connecting power and ground from the amp, remote wire (and I always run a 14guage ground wire from the HU to the amp ground-eliminates any voltage fluctuations causing ground loops). Power/speakers/acc and small ground run on drivers side (This is a CJ I think-2dr 4wd removeable top), rca's straight though the middle inside the center console due to the fact this thing has no carpet/ very little interior. I will be building a box and adding the sub amp -hopefully next weekend (2 pioneer 12's). After finishing what I did today I started it and exactly what I expected- no whine whatsoever...the last 5 or so vehicle I did had NO WHINE.....your ground from the HU to amp ground can have a voltage diff of a few volts and cause alot of problems. Also make all your speaker to amp connections -homerun- no splicing. Hope any of this helps....
97 Sebring Jx convertible
1500 RF amp with 2-10" Lanzar subs
2005 suzuki Katana 600
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

antifork wrote:
Make sure the RCA cables are ran with a ground loop filter to reduce engine noise. If you get engine noise just take out the RCA cables and run speaker cables straight from the head unit to the amp,that would use the filter from the radio.

Um, no! The first sentence is unnecessary, and the second is... well... I have no idea what you're trying to say.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
antifork 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
This is to answer jmelton86:
the reason i said that is because the first time i did a mids and high amp was in a 89 Honda Civic 4-door (with Sony explode 4-way speakers and pioneer tweeters). It sounded great when the car was off but the minute i turned it on the speakers started to wail like a walrus and every time i started up the car you could hear the starter pulse (like the speakers were popping every time the car started) coming out of the speakers. so what i did was just run 14 gauge speaker cables straight from the head unit back (Jensen 7-inch flip out touch screen) running through the center of the car. Remember the older the car is the more engine noise you get from the alternator. I tried those filters that you get for alternator noise and never worked right. I also went through three different types of amps ( Kenwood, Sony, and Rockford) and all of them with the same results. so in the end i ended up getting rid of the darn car anyways and got myself a 04 Toyota Matrix with the same results (with RCA cables that were monster cables) but when i did the running the speaker cables from the head unit (though i did change the head unit to a double din Pioneer touch screen) and i never heard that whine ever again.
Just cut ur frame and drag the thing!
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
anti - that sounds like an unusual circumstance that isn't the type of thing that typically needs to be done to set up a perfectly noise free system.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

antifork wrote:

This is bad advice.  Only use a ground loop isolator if absolutely necessary.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic