icon

aveo horn wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
manahawkinrob 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

I have an 08 Chevy Aveo 5.  I installed a scytek 5100RS alarm and everything works great, but I cannot find the horn wire to connect the horn honk function.  all diagrams say it is BLACK/ white - at steering column harness, but I will be darned if I can find it.  If anyone has done one and can shed some light, or give me an alternative location, that would be great.  Thanks

Rob

jeffwhiteman 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  

The wire may be black found at the same location. If it is, use a relay because this wire goes directly to the neg. of the horn itself.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

It's like the stupid Subarus..... it's one color on one side of a connector, and a different color on the OTHER side .

Black, or BLACK/ white. It's next to the yellow airbag plug on the bottom of the column. you really shouldn't need a relay.

manahawkinrob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks KarTuneMan.  I will look this weekend and post if I found it.  thanks again for your help.
manahawkinrob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well I attempted to hook up the horn tonight and no go.  I used a relay as per the installtion guide.  I think every thing is hooked up right except the horn neg wire.  the relay clicks when i arm it like it is trying to pulse the horn but no horn.  i an using the neg. horn honk and connected to the black /white wire at the steering harness, but this wire shows ground all the time.  should this wire only show ground when the horn switch is pressed?  any help on this would be great as it is in pieces now.
jeffwhiteman 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
you are right. the wire should only show ground when the horn is activated. have you tested the rest of the wires in the column? if so, what are you using to test them with. if all else fails you can run a wire thru the firewall directly to the horn. kind of a pain in the ass but it will work. make sure to test the horn terminal to be sure its looking for the neg. if not you will have to change the relay to trig. a positive.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
Your sure the relay is wired correctly ? The horn wire is all by itself in the plug....
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Depending on if your car is a hatchback or a sedan the horn wire will be a different color. It is BLACK/ white in a hatchback and green in a sedan. NEVER just hook up wires without confirming them first. The airbag circuits are right in the same area and you can cause serious damage by not checking things first. Use a volt meter to find the correct wire. In the 2008's they now use a horn relay. Some of the older Aveo's didn't and the horn wire grounded the horn directly. As a result your horn output from your alarm required a relay to handle the current demands. The wire you need will show 12 volts + at rest and ground when you press the horn button on the steering wheel.
sparky
manahawkinrob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies guys.  The car is a hatchback.  I did test the wires with a DMM.  The BLACK/ white wire i found shows ground not matter if the horn is pressed or not, so I am not sure I have the right wire.  I know the airbags are there too, they are encased in yellow loom.  I have three major plugs in the steering column.  1 is the ignition connector on the underside.  there is one on the right side with different wires in in such as green /white which i think are the cruise control circuit, but no black / white or even black wire for that matter.  the left side has a plug near the turn signal that has a black / white wire and a black wire.  both of these show ground all the time.  i tried to post the relay diagram i used but had trouble.  i will detail connections.  pin 86 goes to output from alarm, pin 30 to ground pin 85 to 12V and pin 87 to negative horn wire.  I think the relay is right as it clicks when i arm the system.  It must be the wrong plug I am tapped into.  any more advice on finding the right wire would be great!!!  Thanks

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
The wire should be in a 8 cavity plug clipped to the dash under the steering column. You can also find it at the horn relay which should be behind the driver's kick panel. Make sure that you test for it first. Set your volt meter to 12 volts. Place the red probe from your meter on the suspected wire. Place the black probe of the meter to a good ground. You will see a 12 volt reading on the meter at rest. When you push and hold the horn switch on the wheel, the meter will show near zero volts if you have the correct wire.
sparky
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic