icon

old school lanzar opti 50c

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maximusde34 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

Unfortunately, Lanzar was severely corrupted when they were bought out by Pyramid.  Any old amps like the LZ and Optidrive and subs like the LC and LP I & II are great solid American products and should be snapped up.  Does anyone here know much an Opti C would be worth in mint condition?  Have 1 but want another.

and IIare definately worth the money if you can find them. 

mdexxxiv
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

they show up on ebay from time to time.  The last one sold for $332 shipped, which seems about normal IIRC.

BTW - Lanzar wasn't bought by Pyramid.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  
Yes they were.
collyn eastham 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  

No...they were not. The rights to the BRAND NAME "Lanzar" was bought by Soundaround, a parent company of Pyramid. The company assets were desolved and the name and it's brands...Opti, Optidrive, etc... have been bought by the new asian holder.

The new amps truly are a disgrace to the old Opti's.

The same thing is quickly happening to MBQuart by the same company that ruined HiFonics. Maxxsonics.

Collyn Eastham
a.k.a. 300MBQuart
08 HHR Panel
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
collyn eastham wrote:

The same thing is quickly happening to MBQuart by the same company that ruined HiFonics. Maxxsonics.

The new Opti's are no Zed Audio's, but they're decent amps.  I'm running the last generation of Zed Optidrives which I think were the best ones they ever produced.  To say the new (Korean) ones are disgraceful in comparison is completely inaccurate IMO.

How do you know what's going to happen to MB?  Maxx didn't just purchase the brand, they purchased the facility in Germany too.  Not only is MB staying german, Maxx is moving some of HF's stuff there as well.

maximusde34 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

I had just become a Lanzar dealer at the time right before they were hijacked.  Their new stuff couldn't hang with the old by quite a bit.  I knew their staff and they knew the product was going to be gutted, and dealers defected in droves.  This was one of the reasons why I got out of audio as a primary business.  Now, if my Opti 50c takes a dump, who would fix it?  When was Zed Audio out of the picture?

mdexxxiv
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

A loss of customers is to be expected any time there's change.  Especially from US to Asian construction, but favorable review after favorable review on the new Opti's is proof enough for me to recognize they're pretty good amps.  If I didn't have the two amps I have I wouldn't hesitate to give the new ones a try.

Zed built them through ~2000, but by that time Lanzar had so many in stock that they remained in their catalog through '03.  They still sell new ones once in a while a few at a time.

I think Zed would fix the 50c if you were to have a problem with it.  From what I hear that place thrives on CS.

collyn eastham 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
n2audio wrote:
collyn eastham wrote:

The new Opti's are no Zed Audio's, but they're decent amps.  I'm running the last generation of Zed Optidrives which I think were the best ones they ever produced.  To say the new (Korean) ones are disgraceful in comparison is completely inaccurate IMO.

How do you know what's going to happen to MB?  Maxx didn't just purchase the brand, they purchased the facility in Germany too.  Not only is MB staying german, Maxx is moving some of HF's stuff there as well.

True...they did buy the facility. But why then does every car line with exception to the "Q" line say made in China? All the woofers and amps are China made. 5-6 years ago I was sponsered by MBQuart and was running the QSD components and RWC woofers. The new "Q" series is almost as good as it once was and the new woofers are crap. The price is cheap though. Where my QSD 210 set and QWD165 three way extenion kit retailed for $2200 in 01, you can now get them  for about 500 for it all. Cost reduction always comes with a loss of some QC and all I was stating earlier is that the MBQuart line is starting to share a lot of commonality with HiFonics junk and Crunch junk and it's not that I know what's GOING to happen...it's that I see it happening ALREADY. .
Collyn Eastham
a.k.a. 300MBQuart
08 HHR Panel
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

I'm willing to wait out the chaos while they get things in line.

Having spent what they spent I'm sure they were eager to get some stuff released that would keep the MB fans interested, and I don't think it's within reason to expect them to have things up and running in Germany in time to engineer and build much of anything within a year or even two.  I can't disagree that things probably won't equal the good old days - but what company does?? 

I'm just not one to write a company off because they start building some lines in Asia.  Besides, as long as they're competent enough to choose a builder with the ability to stick to what's designed I'm not going to have a problem with them bringing us a  quality product with a lower price tag.  There just aren't that many people looking for a $500+ pair of speakers.

maximusde34 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
As for that Opti 50 on ebay, I'm the one that bought it thinking I could resell it later but I'm thinking of using it, too as I can't find the other one hidden within the great hills o'doodiee in my garage or my barn, my sheds too.  In short, I got too much crap.  Anyway, I can't remember if these require a crossover or if they have one built-in.  Does anyone know?  I feel like an idiot because I used to sell these things and should know this, but it has escaped me. 
mdexxxiv
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic