icon

do y adapters make you lose any quality

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Do Y adapters make you loose any type of quality? It just confuses me. Cause your changing 1 output to 2 outputs. Can someone explain to me how this doesnt derease quality or the level that is being put out ? Cause I got 2 channel RCA's going into my amp. But I am gonna get another one of the same amp and run each sub to its own amp So I would be converting the 2channel RCA's basically to a 4 channel like this. Can someone explain if any quality or output is loss? And if so why it just gets to my head that something has to happened converting 2 to 4. Would this be an appropriate way to wire the RCA's?
do y adapters make you lose any quality -- posted image.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Due to the fact it is a low level signal that gets amplified and the fact you are paralleling the outputs. It doesn't change the level by an amount that would be audible. The amplifiers are equipped with level adjustments so you can balance out sensitivity of inputs being used.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
So that would be appropriate way to wire my amps RCA and i will still get the suffcient quality and output?
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
The way you have it will take right to one amp and left to other. You could get the y able the changes to two female and add a small rca with a right and left going to both amps so when it is running mono you will get them to blend right and left into each amp.
The way you have it will sound fine as well.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yes that is the way you need to do it. 
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
mazzasec wrote:
Do Y adapters make you loose any type of quality? It just confuses me. Cause your changing 1 output to 2 outputs. Can someone explain to me how this doesnt derease quality or the level that is being put out ?

No - especially not with those pricey JL interconnects you are using.  Word to the wise - the wire you use doesn't really have any bearing on the signal quality - expensive wire enriches nothing but the seller.

mazzasec wrote:
And if so why it just gets to my head that something has to happened converting 2 to 4.

This does make some basic intuitive sense - and I actually this is a real interesting statement just from a psychological standpoint - but anyway - no - low level signals don't work like that - I can't really explain it technically - maybe heamph or DYohn can - but it isn't like water in a pipe- it doesn't have mass that is being split up so it doesn't reduce the signal or degrade it or anything.  You could daisy chain 10 amps like that and they would all recieve a useable signal.

mazzasec wrote:
But I am gonna get another one of the same amp and run each sub to its own amp So I would be converting the 2channel RCA's basically to a 4 channel like this

This wouldn't work for a 4-channel/sub-amp setup, but for subwoofers this is okay - you'd lose stereo seperation if you were doing it with 4-channel.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:
mazzasec wrote:
Do Y adapters make you loose any type of quality? It just confuses me. Cause your changing 1 output to 2 outputs. Can someone explain to me how this doesnt derease quality or the level that is being put out ?

No - especially not with those pricey JL interconnects you are using. Word to the wise - the wire you use doesn't really have any bearing on the signal quality - expensive wire enriches nothing but the seller.

WEll I aquired those wires when Hi Fi Buys was going out of business so before you think I am just some stuck up person that buys overpriced JL im not those wires were probably 75% off the price
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Do it like that.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

mazzasec wrote:
so before you think I am just some stuck up person that buys overpriced JL im not those wires were probably 75% off the price

Naww man - its not like that - I went through a stuck-up phase and had all JL interconnects.  In a 93 Corrolla with 140K miles.  I dunno what I was thinking.  They cost me more than my 6-channel. do y adapters make you lose any quality -- posted image.  ... and more than the car itself!

Real nice wires to be shure - and didn't mean to offend - I just don't wanna see anyone waste thier money.  Trying to be - uhh - 'helpful.' do y adapters make you lose any quality -- posted image.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

mazzasec wrote:
Do Y adapters make you loose any type of quality? Can someone explain to me how this doesnt derease quality or the level that is being put out ?

Think of your head unit's pre-amps as a high quality amp and the amp they're connected to as a speaker.

You know how a good amp can double its output power when the impedance is halved?

Your HU can do the same thing, but since the pre-amps have such a low output impedance compared to the rca inptus of the amp they can be split several times (each split cuts the amps input impedance in half) w/no significant loss of voltage.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic