icon

remote start, alarm, 04 buick rainier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

Audioman - yes it's possible and common to blow out a relay, just as you can any other mechanical component - the components inside can only move back and forth so much before breaking.

Gregbbb - IMO it's a million times easier using one with a harness. No crimping or taping around the pins necessary, and I think it's harder to screw up - however if you can't find one with a harness easily it's not absolutely necessary.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
All the relays I use I make without harnesses. The crimping and taping doesnt bother me at all. It is harder though to make and easier to mess up. Its also harder to replace the relay when it blows (obviously). I just dont want to spend the few bucks on a harness when I can use those few bucks on something else. I also like making the relays by hand. To me harnesses make the job too easy. Plus if you have an application where 2 wires need to go to 1 pin or whatever, Id rather do this without using a harness. But it is all up to you.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
ehh...my distributor charges 99 cents for a 5-wire harness...IMHO I'd use up more than $1.00 of time crimping.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Well in that case since you can get them that cheap, send some my way remote start, alarm, 04 buick rainier - Page 2 -- posted image.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
Check this out - seller's got some pretty decent stuff in the store if you're buying in bulk.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

i remeber i got some off ebay for 99 cents as well when i got it in bulk. good person to deal with, quick too.

gregbbb 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

Hi All!!

I had a local mom and pop shop down the road install a viper remote start and alarm system. Later on I started not to like the xk01 bypass they installed(didnt like the with no key take over doors lock feature)  so i did my reserch and bought a fortin INT-SL bypass that I decided to install myself.                                  Once I had my 04 Buick rainier apart I noticed they didnt solder anything just strip, twist and tape.remote start, alarm, 04 buick rainier - Page 2 -- posted image. When I put the new bypass in I solderd what  I could but the only thing that is left is the heavy gage wires in the steering column should I solder those in as well?

Thanks!!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
they heavy gauge wire at the collumn is the ingiton and start wires. i suggest you might as well solder them since you got it open. you will end up soldering 3 - 5 wires and that should take no longer than 10 min.
gregbbb 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

I dont know why they didnt.

They should be solderd in right?

Thanks

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
It depends on the installer or shop. My boss says that twist and tape is fine but I will say that soldering will be better. I solder when I can ,when he doesn't tell me to just twist and tape. I used to own my own shop and soldered in all connections except for the ground which is usually ring terminal crimped and bolted to a factory ground point. If I were you, I would solder.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic