icon

upgrading alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
looknup 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
So, on my quest to find a high output alternator for my vehicle I run into the Advance Auto associate. He tells me that upgrading my alternator can/will fry my ecu. I thought that was a little weird. Unless a higher output alternator puts out more than 14.8 volts, there shouldn't be a problem should there?
Next stop, Mr. alternator repairman. He tells me the same thing.
Why would a higher output alternator have any effect on my ecu? Alternators should all run at the same rated voltages right? Someone please clarify this for me.
Thank you.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
No... Unless the alternatoris wired incorrectly, and putting out more (technically PRODUCING A HIGHER) voltage than it should, it will not fry anything.
The devices will still pull exactly the same amount of current, and dissipate the same amount of power, whether you have the stock alternator or a 1000A alternator.
Saying a HO alternator will fry anything is like saying adding a second battery in parallel will too... It won't happen. Period. All you are doing is providing a source of higher current, not voltage.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
To add a little to what Haem said, you have to think of an alternator like a pool of available current. It does not "send" all its current to a particular circuit, a circuit will only draw the current it needs so like he said everything will still be getting the exact same amount of power (as long as the alternator is putting out the correct voltage) as it was before and your current available (to run lights, amps etc) goes up.
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
looknup 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
I thought it was weird myself.. I thought I knew how alternators worked until I heard these guys.. then I was confused. But there was something in the back of my mind that seemed weird to me. None of what they said made sense...
And one guy is a alternator repairman! wth!
italian_virus 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
I am also on the same quest as looknup
i drive a 95 civic and i was just curious to know if anyone knows of any good brands that make High Output Alternators?
I was going to purchase a Load Alternator Boss 135A for about $215
good deal??
i also heard stinger makes good alternators for audio..
keep in mind this is more for audio purposes and obviously to make the car run better =P
Suggestions anyone?, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Having HAD a Load Boss, I can tell you that it was a decent alternator... WHILE IT LASTED! Call HOAlternators... I'll try to find the info for you. It will const you more (A LOT more, sadly) but it is a FAR better alternator, with a much better (IN WRITING) warranty.
:::::EDIT:::::
Here ya go...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
italian_virus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Having HAD a Load Boss, I can tell you that it was a decent alternator... WHILE IT LASTED! Call HOAlternators... I'll try to find the info for you. It will const you more (A LOT more, sadly) but it is a FAR better alternator, with a much better (IN WRITING) warranty.
:::::EDIT:::::
Here ya go...
realllyyy ??? okk then thanks.. yah i dont mind paying decent money for something that is good quality & that will last...
now there are two different types of alternators offered to me
they are
86423 - Denso - 170A
&
40639 - Mitsubishi - Call of output
( since its 11:20PM @ night i will try and make the call this week)
These two are the only ones offered, so which one out of these do you gentlemen recommend??
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2008 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

I mean - I always get beat over the head on this board for saying this - but are u sure u need a HO alt?

You haven't indicated your battery/engine wiring situation - the Big Three and a Deep Cycle are the appropriate places to begin - not an HO alt.

Not shure about heamph's recommendations, but keep in mind that rewound alternators do NOT produce full voltage at idle - the power band of the alt changes and therefore they tend to produce less than ~12v at idle - this is disasterous for your battery and hungry, hungry amplifiers.

I would explore this solution as a LAST resort - and - this is a place where you want to spend all the $$$ ur quoted - do NOT cheap out on this item.

Post back with:

1)what are your power symptoms - WHY do you want an HO alt?

2)what have you done to alleviate these symptoms so far

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
haemphyst 
Posted: February 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Well, James is right on.... MANY "HO" alternators are simply re-wound OEMs, and it is true that they will NOT put out 12V at idle.
The HOAlternators are not as simple as being re-wound, they are DESIGNED FROM THE GROUND UP to be HO from idle to red-line. As an example, the one I have in my car (and I have a current meter in my dash for JUST this purpose) makes 13.6V @ idle, and over 80A, without even revving the engine! It is rated 200A cold, and 170A hot. The differences between the Load Boss (which I still have - in pieces - in my garage), the OEM, and the HO piece are all painfully obvious. The HO gear has noticeably heavier stator windings, an overdrive pulley, a larger stator frame, REAL ball-bearings, not bronze bushings. Good product, and built and tested FOR your order. I never would have paid the money I did (for the HO) for anything with a Load Boss badge on it!
The extra money GETS you a genuine HO product, fully capable of doing what it says it'll do!
As far as the one you need? It's going to depend on what one is there right now. If you presently have a Denso, you can't replace it with a Mitsu, and veecie-versa... Go to the dealer with your VIN, and they'll be able to tell you which it is!
italian_virus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
As far as the one you need? It's going to depend on what one is there right now. If you presently have a Denso, you can't replace it with a Mitsu, and veecie-versa... Go to the dealer with your VIN, and they'll be able to tell you which it is!
Ahh ic ic ok fair enough i will check it out
Thanks
I should also mention that when i purchase the alternator i am not getting a rewound one, BRAND NEW is what i am aiming for.
hehe
sedate wrote:

Post back with:

1)what are your power symptoms - WHY do you want an HO alt?

2)what have you done to alleviate these symptoms so far

Well i have already upgraded the Big Three's and when i do my tune up i am going to put in a new deep cycle battery(not sure on the brand yet). The reason i want to change the alternator is because i have to change my water pump/timing belt/tensioner so since i am already there i might as well change it. The alternator & battery are stock and my car is a 1995 so its been 13 years.
Plus i already have a nice 4 channel Rockford fosgate i am waiting to connect..
Its more for sound clarity & to make the car run smooth
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic