icon

using a pa sub in a car?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2008 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

would a 10" PA woofer be a bad choice to help with some bass upfront? Are they designed for that type of application? this is what I was looking at http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-574&Cfid=19779098&CFTOKEN=60749213 . Its just a thought.

...don't crush the weasel...
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2008 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
This isn't a pro audio subwoofer...just a normal subwoofer.
It will work fine in car environment
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
If you can build and install the recommended enclosure for it (or model one up in something like WinISD) there is no reason you couldn't use it.  Where are you planning to put a 2+cuft vented enclosure "up front"?
Support the12volt.com
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2008 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
The Eminence you linked to is a big driver to fit up front. Stranger things have happened but not without alot of custom work. JL has the ZR-800 that looks to be a killer 8" mid/bass. This would be easier to mount and is design for inf. baffle.
For SPL you can't ignore Pro Drivers: McCauley, TAD, JBL, Fane etc. They are designed to take tons of power and more effiecient. Downside, they need bigger ported boxes and not recommended for sealed.
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

I though about a console enclosure. I've measured a bit and I think I can come up with the space. I've looked at the JL and its a nice sub. Like I said, It was just a thought. It was in the PA Woofer section of the partsexpress catalog and my mind got to tickin'. Thanks for the responses.

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Not sure what the hell I was thinking. Thought you were trying to get more mid/bass up front and a sub in the rear. Anyway look at JL Stealthbox, they may not a have a model for your vehicle, but might give you some ideas. MTX offers some preformed subs. If you do a downfire sub, check to see if the driver you choose will work first.
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

that is what I'm trying too do. I'm running a stroker 12 in the back tuned to 28hz and I want something for the front to cover the 40-60hz range.... or at least thats what I think I'm trying to do... I've got some 6.5 mid drivers and some 6.5 components that I'm going to put in some sealed pods and I'm hoping that will cover it, but that hampster in my mind just keeps turning that wheel.... I Hope I'm not just over complicating things. I'll find out soon enough...

tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
by the way, I'm working with a '97 tahoe 4 door. MA audio mid drivers and components, MA 598 4ch and 2 HK1000D's for the stroker. I've got an older eclipse CD8443 HU. Trying my best to build an SQ truck with product my store sells. I'm sure I'll catch flak for the brand and the letters "SQ" being used in the same sentence, but I like em....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic