icon

alarm/remote start, 02 ford explorer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dustin23 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
i just purchased an alarm (magic alarm). this will be my first alarm installation into my 2002 ford explorer. i have a couple of questions that i need help with. i am looking at the wiring diagram to the alarm and am looking for the wire that is flashing lights. all i see in the wire diagram is "indicator light(+)" and is showing a 10 amp fuse. my question is, do i connect the "parking lamp" or the "headlights" wire or both to that  connection of the alarm? the only other option i see in the diagram is channel 3 output(-) which is a negative wire. do i also need a relay? how do i connect the flashing lights? what are usually the flashing lights?  with the door locks, i know i have a type "b" system, but the wiring diagram shows two lock and two unlock wires. do i merge both lock  wires then both unlock wires and connect it to the relays or do i just use one and connect it to each relay?  finally, how do i find the tach signal with my multimeter and the location of the tach signal?
dustin213
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

Indicator lights=parking lights.....     Check your lock wires ...in the manual it should tell you the polarity of the wires. I will venture a guess that you have both neg. and pos. outputs.

DON'T connect them together.

Read thru the manual.... it "should" tell you what each wire is for.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
Just guessing but your 2 sets of lock wires are NO and NC outputs from  onboard lock and unlock relays with a sparate feed which goes to either power or ground depending on the lock configuration. Check your install manual it should give you diagrammes. Everywhere but North America, indicators mean amber hazard flashers, in North America it is the side lights.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

I wondered about that as well, but then there would be 6 wires? not just four

Howie, I got a 9 am phone interview this morning. alarm/remote start, 02 ford explorer -- posted image.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
I actually mentioned 5, but DEI run their purple and PURPLE / black commons through a single fuse enabling you to configure them for the different locking types. So sorry 6 is right. N.B. it's now 8:50 your time,  good luck!
dustin23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

what is the proper location to put the alarm and relays?

dustin213
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
underneath the dash. lol
Just make it nice and neat. Make it look factory. Hide the brain too.
"dont ground out!"
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
well yea its usally the dash area (high up) behind glove box, or center consol. the thing is the further u move it away from the driver side, the more length of wires u will run.
dustin23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

i just purchased a remote start car alarm. the alarm came with a relay and a connector for the remote start. would i have to use additional relays? what do you usually need to install an alarm? how and where do i find the tach signal?  

dustin213
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
depending on the car, realys may not be needed. tach is at the coil.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic