icon

do i need a relay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfwave 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  

remote starter ( Autostart  AS-1755 ) installing in to 2000 Pontiac Grand Am . the first time work on this , im not sure if i need to wire a relay for the doorlocks or not ?

Thank you .

luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  

Heres a link to the diagram for the locks

http://64.85.6.129/extrainfo/diagrams/15941_GRAND-AM_GRAND%20AM%201%20WIRE%20JBS%20UNITS.pdf

Is this your first remote start?

You have to remove the radio but dont disconnect it to get to the ignition wires. this makes a tight area to solder in so take your time. other than that this car is pretty straight forward except the bypass for passlock 2 and that depends on what bypass you use

The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
chadwa2003 
Copper - Posts: 353
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
The most correct way to do one wire door locks is to use relays some people don't just preference you can also go directly to the door lock relays in the car on the drivers side of the dash and tap in there you can also get your trunk release there. When you remove the panel it will tell you what is what for all the relays
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

i would use 2 relays. that is the most correct way and you dont risk damaging anything.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

Theoretically, and according to every wiring info sheet I've read, you need a relay for both lock and unlock.

In practice, since the lock doesn't go through a resistor on the white wire you can PROBABLY get away with only using a relay and resistor for unlock.

The following detail is technical so feel free to skip it.

The reason for needing one relay is the way that the Body Control Module interprets the signal on that wire - if it sees a small current it thinks 'unlock' and if a large current it thinks 'lock'.
The switch in the car's door goes directly to ground; your alarm's (-) lock and unlock outputs go to ground through the transistors and other circuitry inside the alarm. What that means is that the current values from the alarm outputs through a resistor are significantly off from what the BCM considers a valid 'unlock' signal, and it won't do anything.

I've done several cars like this where the straight (-) output would work but the (-) thru resistor would not.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
rfwave 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks my friends !

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic