icon

02 cavalier remote start problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bhirst 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hi I have a 2002 2.2l Chev Cavalier base model. I am installing a Astra 4000RS 2-1 alarm and remote start combo.
Well my remote start is turning on as in starting the engine then about a second after the engine turns over and starts the engine shuts off, all of the electrical stays running for about 10 seconds then shuts off. I do not have the tach wire hooked up yet so could that be the problem? I was told I do not need a passlock bypass for my car is this true?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. :) Thank you
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a bypass problem. look in your dash and see if the security light flashes. if so, its not bypassed correctly.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
You do need a bypass module for that vehicle. I have the exact same vehicle. I am using the DEI 555L. Its very easy to install and program. Also, make sure to hook up the tach wire. Is your engine an ecotec?
bhirst 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
K thanks. Its a 2200. I hooked the tach wire up and same prob. Guess I'll be getting a bypass module. Would a local parts store like napa or advanced auto part have one?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
They wont carry them. Best buy, circuit city would have them. I ordered mine off the website that I got my alarm from. www.asianwolf.com
bhirst 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
k thanks. Do I need to get a certain bypass?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
The reason for connecting the tach wire is so the RS unit can tell when the car has been started. That wire gives out different ohm's. The higher the ohm, the higher the RPM of the vehicle. Well as soon as that wire reads above 0 ohms, the RS disengages to prevent the starter from grinding. By not having it connected, you are then going tachless which then means you are going by the voltage change, which isnt reliable on the newer cars. I have my tach wire installed. But I know you need a bypass module. If you get the DEI 555L, I can guide you through the installation and programming. Another thing is to make sure you have all your RS wiring connected and connected to the right wires on the car. I do know that there needs to be 1 RS wire connected to each of these wires on your cavalier: orange, brown, pink, purple, red, and yellow. If one or more of those wires I just mentioned does not have a remote start wire spliced to it, then there is another problem.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
You need to get a bypass that will cover passlock 2. Do not get the ones that require a key in the box either because then you will waste a key on it. I have the dei 555L in my car and I love it. My fiance has another brand for her cavalier, but I am not sure which it is. If you want, I can actually tell you which wires need to be installed if you used the 555L, before you go and buy a module just to give you an idea.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
A Passlock II bypass is required. Passlock II doesn't utilize a special key but has a circuit inside the ignition cylinder that provides a preset voltage to the BCM to allow the car to start. Without the bypass the car will crank and then die. Failure to correctly interface the system will cause the car to go into tamper mode and it won't start for 15 minutes.
Just to correct you audioman2007, the 2002 Cavalier doesn't require the Brown wire in the ignition switch harness to be connected. There are two Red battery feed wires that should both be used for power provided that your remote starter has two battery inputs. The Pink wire is ignition and the Orange is the accessory wire. The Purple wire is the starter wire. As for your explanantion of ohms readings and tach, you are using the wrong terms. Tach wires produce AC voltage and increase with engine RPM. An average reading is between 1 and 9 volts AC when measuring the correct tach wire.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
If the brown wire is not connected, then the check engine light will come on.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic