icon

headlights to turn off when car is off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if there is a way that I can have it so that my headlights turn off when I turn my car off and pull the key out of the ignition? I was in another topic where I got responsed on how to prevent my driver side door from locking when the key was inserted in the ignition. I was thinking that maybe this would work the same way. I just want it so if I accidently leave my headlights on, when I turn the car off and pull the key from the ignition, they automatically turn off. But then since that would happen, when the key would be re-inserted, the lights would then ofcource turn back on (unless I had turned them off prior). I do know though that with me doing it this way, that I wont be able to turn my headlights on without using the key for instance if I needed to adjust my headlights but didnt want to turn my ignition to acc. Anyone have any ideas?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Helps a lot if you mention what kind of car it is.
It shouldn't be too hard to change the constant power source that now feeds the car's headlight circuit, and change it to switched power.
Is your only concern that you might forget the headlights on? A lamps-on buzzer might also be a good thing to add.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

If you have relays, you could make the feed terminal ignition only, or you could go to the light switch break the 12v permanent feed with a relay like so:-   Cut headlamp output  from switch, join switch side to 87, other side to 30, ignition feed to 86 and ground to 85. If you can only access high and low beam outputs, use 2 relays.    

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I screwed up, ignore first line about 12v feed, just take it from the second line.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

possible, i remeber preventing driver door to lock because i was the one that helped you. U sure have alot of relays in your car ! what you will need to do is break the continuity on the headlight positive wire. the thing is, the way tou wire itup the headlights can ONLY come on when the key is in the ignition.

85 - key sense (-) @ ignition harness

86 - constant 12v
87 - headlight wire switch side
30 - headlight wire light side

as i mentioned the headlight can ONLY work with keys in the ignition. You can also try this method.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#drto

this makes the lights stay on until the door is open. just change

86 - constant 12
87 - to headlight wire switch 
30 - to headlight wire light side.
30 to headlight wire

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Yea thats what I was afraid of tedmond. I havent accidently left my headlights on since I got my new instrument cluster overlay which is translucent yellow. If I cant tell they are on by seeing it bright yellow, then I have problems. But prior to installing that, I actually left my headlights on twice, both times draining my battery. Now I had a feeling that the headlights wont stay on unless the key is in the ignition. I actually wanted to know if I could have it wired up so the only time they will be on is when turned to ignition. When I remote start my car, my parking lights turn on. There are times when I have to make a quick stop at night, so I hit the remote start so I can take the key out. I then get out and go inside and the neighbors hate the fact that my headlights are on. This way when I remove the key, the headlights will turn off until I go and insert the key and turn it again.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Regardless of your desire to disable the headlights when the car is off, your last question is easy.
The remote starter's ground-when-running output could be used to trigger a relay, to disable the headlights when the remote starter is on.
I did the same thing in my '90 Oldsmobile Trofeo, which has headlights that come on automatically at night. But when the remote start is on, it prevents the headlights from coming on, and also keeps the motorized headlight doors closed.
What kind of car, and what kind of remote start?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

02 cavalier   and asianwolf 8000RS (same as scytek 5100RS).

The way tedmond said above (with the first set of pins) will cause my headlights to only be on when the key is in the ignition anyways. So if I accidently was to leave my headlights turned on, when I remote start my car, the headlights wouldnt turn on until I insert the key anyways. Same would go for when I need to make a quick stop. If at night I have my headlights on, when I press the remote start button in order to make the quick stop, as soon as the key is removed from the ignition, the headlights would turn off until the key is re-inserted, correct?

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
yeap.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I think my car has independent right and left headlights. Another thing, where exactly would I want to tap into? I mean, if I tap into the wires that run to the headlights themselves, then wouldnt my dash lights stay on? I want to have it where the relays are wired up to where the dash lights and headlights get turned off. I guess I would need to tap into the parking lights as well or are those on the same circuit?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic