icon

2003 cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sickstyles 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
unstalling a clarion in a 2003 cavalier anyone have ever do one? if so what is the deal with the chime????
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

hahahahaha this car is a pain in the butt.  These chevy cars use class 2 wiring--bottom line is you need the factory radio to make the door chime.  Metra, Scosche, and AI all make kits that let you relocate the factory radio somewhere out of sight, and keep your door chime functionality.  Too bad they charge an arm and a leg for them, but if you want to retain all the factory functionality, this is your only choice.

Also beware that there is no +12v switched wire at the radio harness.  You have to run a separate wire to the ignition to get your switched 12volt.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

You can run the car without the relocation harness but you will lose the chime. The harness runs about $50 and like esmith69 said you will need to tap into a switched 12 volt ignition source. here is the info on you car from Best Kits http://bestkits.com/app_guide_2001/bk_app_details.asp?model=CAVALIER&Submit=View+the+Applicable+Years&ID=71 

sickstyles 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
i wish i never started this install, lol leave it to chevy to make it rediculous thanks for the help guys i got it all figured out.
mk842766 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
You can use the new harness VT-GMRC-01, and NOT have to keep your radio head unit!! I just installed in my 2003 Silverado, and it worked great!!! Kinda pricy, but it sure beats having your old radio laying around, and doing all that extra wiring!!!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic