icon

dvc wiring at 2 ohm load

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hookedonaudio 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
In the wiring wizard diagram it shows that you need to connect one of the subwoofer negative terminals to one of the positive to get a two ohm load, I thought that you should never connect a pos to neg in any situation. I learned the hard way by accidentally touching the pos to a neg on my new water heater in the utility room, it was a shocking experience.
slipitysmooth 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
Are you looking at this page? (DVC 4 Ohm)
Wiring Options
If you do have a 4 ohm DVC, then you need to wire it in Parallel to get a 2 Ohm load as shown on the link...if you are wiring in series (in this case it would give you a 8ohm load), then it is just fine to connect + to - as you are talking about resistance here...and its not a voltage source or something of the like.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
hookedonaudio.... speaker wire positive and negative are different then a heaters positive and negative. Speakers are measured in ohms, heaters are measured in volts. In some situations, you need to wire a positive speaker coil to a negative to get the desired amp load. For instance if you have a 2 channel amp but have 2 dual coil subs, you would take channel 1's positive to coil 1's positive. Take coil 1's negative to coil 2's positive. Then take coil 2's negative to channel 1's negative. This would make an 8 ohm load on that channel (depending on the impedence of the subs). If you were to take these same subs but wire each coils positive and negative to channel 1's positive and negative, this would then give that channel a 2 ohm load, then add the fact of the other channel as well would then give the amp a total of 1 ohm load which 2 channel amps cant handle thus ruining the amp. Understand?
hookedonaudio 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I hooked up both 2000 watt unmatched amps to both of my rockford hx2 power subs which are 2 ohms each. the subs dont hit near as hard now with two amps. would I be better off to run the lanzar amp which is one ohm stable to the the subs and wire them both to a 2 ohm load, or would I be better to run all 4 of my 12"s to both of the amps. The only bad thing is the profile amp is two channel and the lanzar is one channel.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic