icon

possible to make a sealed box ported

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fatboybuick 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Hello I have a long rectangle sealed box that's made for 4 12''s.  Each sub has it's own chamber, I wanted to know is it possible to make this sealed box ported, and if so how so.  Currently I have 4 12 inch sony xplode subs in it, and if this is possible what size ports should I purchase and what would be the best for my subs to have it tuned to for optimal performance.  I understand my best bet would be to just to build, or have a new ported box built but I don't have the money for that.

fatboybuick
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
You can change it BUT it wont sound right. Subs need a certain amount of space in order to be ported. For instance, a sub might need  X amount of cubic feet for a sealed inclosure in order to sound right. Also, a sub will need X amount of cubic feet for a ported enclosure in order to sound right. But these 2 measurements arent the same. If you were to take a sealed enclosure, cut a hole(s) in it and place ports in it, 2 things will happen. 1. The sub wont sound right at all. 2. the frequency of the box will be off. It might be too high or too low and could ruin the sub. Best thing to do is look at the manual for the sub (if you have it) or give us the make and model and we can come up with how many cubic feet they need.  Just so you know, a ported box is not something you just slap together. Every measurement has to be correct. Every port size and length has to be correct. The overall construction has to be solid or else the sub wont sound right or could blow.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Yes it is possible.
I would not recommended it. Ported enclosures are larger than sealed enclosures normally. To even have enough port area and a low enough tuning to port lengths are going to be pretty LOONNGG.
If you want a ported enclosure than build a proper one.
The results of porting your sealed enclosure is like to be peaky with a sharp roll off and have a very weak low end.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Its possible but not smart to try it. I would make a box from scratch. Find out what those subs need for ported space and design a box. Then you need to figure out the port size and length and it MUST be correct and perfect or else it wont sound right and the frequency will be off. Just be prepared to make the same box several times until you get it right. The first box I ever made  I had the port to wide so I had to pack it in till it was right. The 2nd box I made just so happened to be correct the first time.
aznboi3644 
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Well with WinISD you can get a pretty good idea on what box you want. I' have never had to build a box twice for the same sub.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
No matter how perfect the box tuning, your still using Xplodes.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
There is nothing wrong with explodes. First off, you can take the worst sub and put it in a great box and make it sound like a million bucks. On the other hand, you can take the best sub and make it sound horrible. Its all in the box design. Yea there are some subs that arent that great but if you dont like explodes, then simply dont buy them. There are plenty of brands I dont like, but that doesnt mean that I will chew someone out that has them. In my mind, if someone likes a brand or how something sounds, then thats what matters. They are the one that has to listen to it, not anyone else. I have a Kole Audio amp that tons of people will chew me out on, but I love the amp and thats all that matters.
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with audioman. When properly powered the xplod can sound great in the correct enclosure. I've always heard them in sealed, never in ported, but It could be worth a try. I've currently got MA audio stuff, and I get some flak every now and then.... but it's all coming out... I've got a build coming on!!!
...don't crush the weasel...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Just so you guys know:  this forum isn't very fond of Xplodes or anything Sony.  You may have to get used to a Sony comment every now and then.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aznboi3644 
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Sony indeed is flea market stuff.
WAL-MART sells sony xplodes...that is enough for me
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic