the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

for fellow best buy installers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
When i post on tool kit and whatnot it has me as bby certified but i'm actually mecp basic certified, and my manager knows that. does this mean i'm getting shorted on my pay as well? I'd like to know before i possibly make an ass of myself if i say something to my manager about it.
thanks
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

i wouldn't sweat it..... i been in the business for a while and lemme tell u... mecp certification only looks good on a resume... doesn't really mean much to the outside world becuase nobody really even know what mecp stand for...

best thing i can tell u if u want a raise... work harder... be on time... and try not to blow any cars up....... if u are a good employee plays a bigger role in your pay than mecp certification....

there can be only one.......
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
How are the Besy Buy installers payed? Wage? Commition? Both?
davngr 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
skee-weezy wrote:

i wouldn't sweat it..... i been in the business for a while and lemme tell u... mecp certification only looks good on a resume... doesn't really mean much to the outside world becuase nobody really even know what mecp stand for...

best thing i can tell u if u want a raise... work harder... be on time... and try not to blow any cars up....... if u are a good employee plays a bigger role in your pay than mecp certification....

in bestbuy  mecp = more pay.        

to the op:   if i rember right there is a set payscale for mecp certification or lack off,  i would call corporate office and take it up with the hr department.  if you find they have shorted your pay and you have dated prof of certification, i would ask for some back pay.    by the way i never worked for best buy, but have worked for other bigbox chains with ex-bestbuy workers.

life is a comedy to think, a tragedy to feel
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

when was your last review?????? if u have another review coming up soon u can bring it up at that point... otherwise like the other guy said maybe u should consider contacting the hr department..... i worked for best buy and circuit city.. .and the last time i checked it was only good for about a dollar an hour....so u do the math and figure out if it's worth the fuss... if so.. make sure u aren't goin in there blind.... if u had a good review... and have been a good employee this shouldn't be a problem to take care of u for the management... partner with your immediate supervisor first.. neva forget how important the pecking order is!!!!!!!!!!

there can be only one.......
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
there was a changeover in march and a pseudo-complete rework of the pay scale and ladder for installers. i think they have it figured out now, but it took the whole month to iron it out. whoever entered in the job code titles at corporate messed them up. i know for a fact (stood there with my ops manager when she entered the job code in) that when i was entered in as the correct job code for advanced mecp, it labeled me as master mecp. the job code was correct but the titles were messed up. my title is correct now and has been for the last few weeks. get with your ops manager and have them pull up your job code an ensure that you are coded correctly. if you don't know what job code you need to be, look on the water cooler under "Running the Bay" for a thread "New Job Codes". theres a few pdf files in the thread that give all the job codes for install
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:
How are the Besy Buy installers payed? Wage? Commition? Both?
payed hourly. they quit the commission type pay i wanna say about 7 or so years ago
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

hey zerepdivad,  were you ever MECP certified or did you just become certified?  and were you hired on as an installer or did they train you there at the store?  i worked at best buy for 6+ years, and the way you would get the raise is if you were not certified before you got the job.  If you were already certified at the time of hire then they paid you according to your certification.  If you weren't certified at the time they hired you, then let HR know that you are certified and they should increase your hourly pay by a dollar.  that dollar really helps when they only give 20 to 25 cent raises yearly.  make sure that you follow up on this because most OPs managers don't really give a crap about the install bay unless something goes wrong or they came from the install bay.  And davngr  is right, you can get your back pay if you have proof of certification date.  the only problem is that it's a real pain in the butt because then you'll be eating more labor dollars, and OPs managers hate that. 

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
flip_fc_drifter 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
When the whole install bay took there tests the ones that passed all got a 75 cent pay increase.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic