icon

alarm to best suit me, moving to bad area

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontstealme 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
Moving out to a new place where I personally know of 5 cars that have been broken into. 2 of them being my mothers. Not a good area and I have no other option.
Not a complete noob with alarm systems/ electronics and I know that any car can be stolen if someone really wants it. I just want to do my best to prevent it. I am looking for a reputable alarm system with as many features as possible. I am finding ton of alarm systems and brands I've never heard of, please suggest some nice genuine alarms for my situation.
95 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gs-t with factory alarm that works sometimes. Alarm will be getting installed by a professional.
Here are things I believe are necessary to have with the alarm.
-Passive arming
-door/lock unlock
-Siren
-motion sensor/s
-2 way remote of some sort to keep informed
Things I would like for it to have
-backup battery I know some alarms come with them
-tilt sensor(in case car is being towed)
-remote start for manual
-turbo timer
-kill switch/s, immobilizer
-Longest range possible for the 2 way.
-Anti grind
-Light dimming
I have been searching online but there are to many knock offs out there its taking me forever and I am very busy with college right now so any help is extremely appreciated.
Thanks,
Cristian
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
If you're planning to buy the product yourself, and then have a professional install it, make sure to ask them first, and get a price.
Most shops will install only what they sell, or charge a LOT more for labor to install something they're not familiar with.
Also, if you buy at one place, and install at another........there'll be confusion if something ever breaks. Was it the installer's fault, or the product's fault? If it's the product, who will pay to remove/reinstall it? Will the seller warranty the product for you?
Typically, if you get everything at one place, they should warranty everything forever. I warranty the remotes, but some places don't, so ask.
There aren't too many brands that sell units made for manual transmissions, so that should narrow your search down a bit.
Ultra (made by AST) is one, and Compustar is another. Compustar isn't cheap, but they make good product, have systems with two-way remotes, and advertise systems with 1-mile range (although I haven't tried one out).
You might start by finding a local shop that sells and installs Compustar, visit them and get some pricing.
If you're looking to make the car hard to steal, what's more important than brand name, or how many sensors you have, is the installation.
The basic installation price will typically include all components mounted securely, out of your sight, good wiring connections, and so forth.
What's even better is if the alarm's "brain" is located where a thief can't get to it without removing lots of panels.......installing the siren and its wires behind/underneath other underhood components so it can't be found........this will generally cost extra, as it adds a lot of time to the job.
When choosing where you'll go, try to talk directly to the installer who would work on your car, rather than the salesman. Ask if he could look at your car, and give you some idea as to where he'd put the components.
When going in for the job, try to drop the car off early, and on a day you'll know he'll be working. You don't want to drop it on his day off, and end up having the "new guy" work on it.
As far as your other questions:
Doorlocks, starter kill, and siren are pretty much standard with any alarm. Passive arming should cost you nothing, as it's just a feature the installer has to enable in programming.
Tilt sensor, glass break sensor, interior motion sensor, backup battery, extra sirens.........these can be added to pretty much any alarm.
Not sure what you meant by "light dimming." Do you want the interior lights to come on when you unlock the doors? That's a slight installation challenge on a manual-transmission car (because the unit needs to "know" when a door is being opened), but it can be done.
Or do you mean you want the headlights to automatically come on at night? DEI and Audiovox used to make pieces to do that, but I'm not sure if they're around anymore.
davngr 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
 like the other post said, your better off going to one shop and having evrything done.  another feature you dint mention but, might be a good choise for you is ignition/fuel pump cut off.  most manual cars end up having their stearing locks broken then pop started.
life is a comedy to think, a tragedy to feel
dontstealme 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
If you're planning to buy the product yourself, and then have a professional install it, make sure to ask them first, and get a price.
Most shops will install only what they sell, or charge a LOT more for labor to install something they're not familiar with.
Also, if you buy at one place, and install at another........there'll be confusion if something ever breaks. Was it the installer's fault, or the product's fault? If it's the product, who will pay to remove/reinstall it? Will the seller warranty the product for you?
Typically, if you get everything at one place, they should warranty everything forever. I warranty the remotes, but some places don't, so ask.
There aren't too many brands that sell units made for manual transmissions, so that should narrow your search down a bit.
Ultra (made by AST) is one, and Compustar is another. Compustar isn't cheap, but they make good product, have systems with two-way remotes, and advertise systems with 1-mile range (although I haven't tried one out).
You might start by finding a local shop that sells and installs Compustar, visit them and get some pricing.
If you're looking to make the car hard to steal, what's more important than brand name, or how many sensors you have, is the installation.
The basic installation price will typically include all components mounted securely, out of your sight, good wiring connections, and so forth.
What's even better is if the alarm's "brain" is located where a thief can't get to it without removing lots of panels.......installing the siren and its wires behind/underneath other underhood components so it can't be found........this will generally cost extra, as it adds a lot of time to the job.
When choosing where you'll go, try to talk directly to the installer who would work on your car, rather than the salesman. Ask if he could look at your car, and give you some idea as to where he'd put the components.
When going in for the job, try to drop the car off early, and on a day you'll know he'll be working. You don't want to drop it on his day off, and end up having the "new guy" work on it.
As far as your other questions:
Doorlocks, starter kill, and siren are pretty much standard with any alarm. Passive arming should cost you nothing, as it's just a feature the installer has to enable in programming.
Tilt sensor, glass break sensor, interior motion sensor, backup battery, extra sirens.........these can be added to pretty much any alarm.
Not sure what you meant by "light dimming." Do you want the interior lights to come on when you unlock the doors? That's a slight installation challenge on a manual-transmission car (because the unit needs to "know" when a door is being opened), but it can be done.
Or do you mean you want the headlights to automatically come on at night? DEI and Audiovox used to make pieces to do that, but I'm not sure if they're around anymore.
I agree with you on buying the alarm and getting it installed in one place I was just worried about just getting sold on whatever they carry or have in stock. I am going to call around. I am looking at the Compustar alarms now they look great I am liking the P2WSSR. But I've heard issues about their warranties since they changed owners or something like that. I just want something that is state of the art and not outdated. I love the compustar's range 6000ft. As far as the light dimming I was talking about the interior lights going on/off when arming disarming or w/ the ignition. But I would not mind having my headlights go on at night either. This is a one time deal so I would like to go all out, so to speak.
-Cristian
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
As long as its installed by an authorized Compustar PRO dealer you want have any problems with the warranty.
Cris
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
Compustar has the same owners. There are no complications with there warranty.
"dont ground out!"
dontstealme 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Wow I called up some Pro dealers got a quote of 850 w/ the autostart and no tilt sensor. Another with the alarm alone and no autostart for 450.
dontstealme 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I forgot to add this to my previous post. What should this alarm run me installed with the autostart,tilt sensor,motion sensor, etc. Just so I know whether or not I'm getting ripped off.
Thanks again
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
we sell the P2wss-AS fof $619.99 at our shop
South Side Audio
2501 S. High St
Columbus, OH 43207
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

499 for unit and install + 20 for keyless entry. each sensor is roughly 50 and 20 for labour.

you would be looking at 700 for full complete system. And that is canadian dollars.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic