icon

power wire and distribution block

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sergeantnic 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

I'm doing a big audio upgrade in my 2006 Crownline 236LS (Boat) and I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answers for.

I'm installing a Profile AP1000M amp to power an Alpine SWR 1042D 10" DVC Sub that I'm running at 2ohms.  I'm also installing an Infinity Reference 475A 4 channel amp to power 4 new Infinity 602M speakers.

After some research on this forum I decided on using 1/0 power and ground to a 1/0 to 4 guage distro block.  I'm running the ground back to the battery because the grounding block on the boat can't handle the load.  So basically I'll have 2 runs of 1/0 guage (power and ground) to 2 distro blocks.  Then 4 runs of 4 guage (power and ground for 2 amps).

1. I've got about 15 feet to go from the batts to the amps.  Do I want to run 10 feet of 1/0 guage and then distro followed by 5 feet of the 4 guage.  Or shorter 1/0 guage and longer 4 guage?  Or does it matter?

2.  One of the 4 awg amp kits I purchased seems to only be about 4.8 mm compared to the kicker kit I purchased which is easily 6mm or larger.   Is it imperative that I get some more "true" 4 awg wire or should I just use the "cheaper" kit for the amp that's pulling less power?

I appreciate any comments or feedback.  Taking friday off to install all my goodies!

stzcole 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

I believe that you have everything covered. Run the power and ground with 1/0 guage all the way till you get close to the amps, then get a disrtobution block (make sure you get the right size fuses for each amp) and seperate each to 4 guage. The only thing I would suggest is to get to within at least 3 feet before using the distrobution block. The thing to remember is the closer the better.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

1. It doesn't matter.  However the install works out best for this situation.  Your wiring is plenty large for the application.

2. Use the wire you have.  It will be easily large enough for the task.

stzcole wrote:
get a disrtobution block (make sure you get the right size fuses for each amp)

The fuses in a fused distro are for the outgoing wires (in this case, 4 gauge), not for the amplifiers.  The amps have fuses.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sergeantnic 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

One more question.

I'm fusing the 1/0 guage power wire with a 300 amp ANL fuse.  I've read on some other posts that a fused distro is not needed.  And from stevdart's comment I'm reading that as....

The fuse on the main 1/0 power line near the battery should be sufficient and no more fuses are needed?

Other than those in the amps themselves of course.

hungryandfat 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
you will be fine running a fuse close to the battery. I believe a fuse anywhere else would be a waste.
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
You were pretty much 100% on the money before you posted and Stevdart helped ya with your question, i concur also, i only posted here to suggest you take some pics of the install and the finished job here or in the systems and rides section of the12volt forums to show your really loud boat that scares off all the fish and makes people in bass boat give you the finger
power wire and distribution block -- posted image.
rtfm
sergeantnic 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  

I will definately take some pictures.  I had the neighbor come down last night with his benzomatic and solder on my terminals to the 1/0 guage power and ground wires.  Took some pics of those.  I'll be sure to take pictures along the way and I'll post a good after action report when I'm finished.

Thanks for the suggestions and the information.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Any time you change power cable size, you will ALWAYS fuse for the outgoing cable size. What I mean by that is this: If you have a 1/0 into a distro, then out to a #4, that output should be fused at no greater than 150A.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sergeantnic 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
So, you are saying I fuse near the battery on the 1/0 power wire.
Run that to my distro block and then I fuse both of the 4 gauge power wires as well?
So in all I would need 3 fuses for this setup?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Yes. That is exactly correct. And ONLY 3. Do not use a fused distro for your ground.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic