icon

channel expanders

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

I wanted to know what exactly these things do. Is it worth getting? Here is a picture of the one made by scytek which I would need for my alarm:

channel expanders -- posted image.

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
It's worth getting if you need extra aux. channels.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
A lot of newer product already has a lot of extra channels anyway.
For example, the Audiovox product we use where I work has one regular trunk output, plus four more outputs, which can be programmed to stay on for different amounts of time.
It might be simpler to choose a product that already has enough channels. But if you already have bought what you're going to use, the channel expander could be useful.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so its basically to add channels for trunk release, window module, and so on? Ok then I am alittle lost. Why is it when you buy a sensor (no matter the brand) they have plugs on both ends? I mean so that it can plug into something without having to cut the plug off and splice it in to other wires. Like for instance, my alarm has a port for my shock sensor which is being used by that sensor. But when I buy other sensors made by scytek, they also have plugs on them eventhough I cant plug them into my alarm. Is there something I can buy to allow these to plug directly into the brain?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
probably just for triggers and for power.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

So basically those plugs mean nothing to my alarm since I dont have any free sensor ports?

mikvot 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah......some alarms have multiple sensor input plugs. In your case, you don't ....but any sensors you will buy have the plugs. Say, if you decided you didn't want the shock, but wanted some other sensor instead, you would be able to plug it directly into the alarm. You might wanna check to see if there is some kind of y adapter for your alarm. It would allow you plug a couple of different sensors into the alarm with no splicing.

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
I understand mikvot but when I read my manual under the section for tamper alerts, it tells me what all the possibilities are. For instance 2 flashes is my shock sensor. 1 flash is optional sensor. 3 flashes is network based sensor. Also in my manual it gives a list of some add ons that can be purchased. The sensors mentioned are: glass break sensor and radar sensor. Now on my alarm, the only open ports are: green emergency brake/blue start (-)   and the scynet port.
mikvot 
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

That's why I said, to see if there there is some kind of optional cable, that will allow you to plug in multiple sensors.

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Thats why I thought the thing pictured above might work.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic