icon

2 12 kicker cvr's, cadence txa1000d amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

Its up to you if you want to go through checking it all or not. You wanted to get to the root of the problem and I am trying to help you do that.

Is it possible that all 4 speakers could blow at the same time.....yeah it is. You have to realize something here, you were running 2 12's powered by an external amp. Your highs were being powered by your head unit. Even before you had a problem they were probably distorted all to hell and your head unit was probably clipping every time you turned the volume up you just could not tell because you couldn't hear it over the bass. Thoes extra 2 notches that you turned it up were just the straw that broke the camels back.

If you want to just run out and buy a new head unit feel free, but if that is not the problem then you are back to square one and just spent money that you didn't need to. In all honesty I could go through all of the checks I posted above in under an hour.

tehmenace 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, Thanks.  I'll go out and run through your steps as soon as this damn snow stops...  I see what you are saying though.  One more question.  If the speakers were blown would they be able to produce good, clean sounding bass?  I ask this because when I turn my car on after it has been off for a while It will sound completely normal like it used to, but after a few minutes it will start to cut out again. 

01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

No I don't think they would, sounds as if when it gets hot things start acting funny.

If you have a Pep Boys/Auto Zone/Wal Mart near by might be worth it to go buy some $20.00 head unit with atleast 1 pre amp output on it and see if the same thing happens with the cheapie head unit. If the problem is fixed you could just go out and buy a nicer head unit as you know it will fix the problem. In the end you might be out $20-$30 if you can't return the cheapie.

tehmenace 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ya, Everything is very confusing right now. I need to start eliminating possible problems. I might just go out and buy a new head unit soon anyway. It doesn't bother me to spend that money on one and the unit I have now isn't anything special. I'll post again if I determine what was wrong.
tehmenace 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I went out to my car today and tried to hook up my ipod to my amplifier and see if the subs would hit. I plugged the RCAs from my ipod directly into the input on the amplifier. There was absolutely no sound coming from the subwoofers at all. I then plugged the RCAs from the head unit back into the amplifier and the subs would hit. They would stop hitting if I turned the volume up too loud.
I also turned the volume on my head unit up loud today when all of the bass was cut out to see what would happen. I could tell that there was a little bit of bass coming from my speakers but the sound was quite distorted. I did not know if this was because of the high volume of the music or what (the fact that it sounded all distorted). I turned the bass up on the head unit and the bass was louder on the speakers. But if I turned the volume down to about halfway, there was very little to no bass at all.
I am not sure if I connected my ipod up to my amplifier correctly. I took a pair of cables with a headphone jack on one end and RCA cables on the other and plugged that into the amplifier. Is there anything else I need to do in order to get sound out of the subs? Does my head unit need to be off or something?
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2008 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

Ok for the iPod hook up, you did it right, headphone jack into the iPod, RCA's on the other end to the amp. One thing though the key to the car has to be on in order for the amp to turn on. I would imagine you turned the volume up on the iPod but if not just double check that and make sure the amp is powered up when you hook the iPod up to it.

I would not be surprised if the head unit and the interior speakers are all fried. There is a possibility that the amp and subs are still ok but who knows. SOunds like some stuff my little brother would do to be perfectly honest with you.

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic