sub problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Turn off the bass boost...it is not needed if everything is set up correctly
a bandpass box masked distortion very well so its harder to hear it.
Turn off the bass boost and set your gain with the test tone. 14DB boost. I'm not exactly sure but I think its something like this
3db = twice the power
6db = four times the power
9db = 8 times the power
12db = 16 times the power.
So at 60Hz the amp is trying to put out over 16 times the power it can push???
Not really sure though...correct me if I'm wrong
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

Yes anzboi3644 that is basically correct, and is why bass boost should never be used in a properly setup system.  It's only purpose is to mask problems in inadequate systems.

audioman2007 I'm sorry if I offended you but let me correct you about something.  This forum is to teach people about installing car electronics and how to use them correctly, not for sharing "the best of your ability."  If the "best of your ability" is wrong or incomplete, I will be here to correct you whenever I notice it - you or anyone else, I am not picking on you.  And I expect the other pros on here to correct me too when I screw up.  Bottom line: if you do not understand how to set your gain - and many of your posts illustrate that you apparently do not know how to do this - then you should not be offering advice on system setup to anyone else until you correct your ignorance.  The instructions I posted may help you do that.  Forget everything you think you know and learn to do things correctly, and you'll be a much more valuable asset to this forum.  Thanks!

Support the12volt.com
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
When I have my gain set to 1/2 and my bass boost at 0, then my bass production sucks. I use the bass boost to get that hard punchy bass. When I have it at 0, all the bass sounds the same and isnt loud.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
If your bass sounds weak when the gain is properly set than the problem lies with the enclosure and sub setup
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
What is the difference between a bass boost rated at 12DBs at 60Hz and a EQ that has a band of 12DBs at 60Hz?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

audioman2007 wrote:
What is the difference between a bass boost rated at 12DBs at 60Hz and a EQ that has a band of 12DBs at 60Hz?

Nothing.  Both add artificial electronic signal strength within a specific frequency band, and both can be equally damaging to a system.

Support the12volt.com
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well First let me apoligize to everyone in here for my ignorance. I went and did what you all said "finally" and had very great results, BUT I had to do things alittle different. Here is what I did. I went and took a 15 second test tone at 60Hz like you all said and went and made 20 tracks of it in Itunes having the track break at 0 seconds. I went out and disconnected my rear speakers (sitting on my back seat) so that I can pull down my seat. I then adjusted the crossover which was too high. My headunits subwoofer crossover is set too 120Hz and I have the amps set alittle lower, maybe 90. I then turned the bass boost down to 0 and also turned the gain down. I then turned the headunits sub output setting from -2Db to 0. I took out my music cd and placed in the test tone cd. I left it play at a volume of 30 (which is what I listen to my music at) and then slowly turned the gain up. I was able to get the gain to about 3/4 before the bass changed from being clean to distorted and off tone. I then backed it down, but then had to back it down to 1/2. I had to back it down to 1/2 so that I could turn the headunits output up to its max of 6Dbs. I cant have it at that setting then turn the gain up because I have neighbors that will call the cops. So I dont actually know how it is. Actually I didnt turn the headunit up untill I was actually driving. Before then, the bass was alittle on the soft side, then after I turned it up to 6Dbs, it sounded just like it did before when I had the bass boost up. The bass now sounds very crisp and clean, (just like it did before). The hard punches are alot smoother. When I played some of my rock/heavy metal, the higher bass notes (you know the kind of bass when you listen to rock) was alot more punchier, something I wasnt used to. Is that a good thing or bad thing? Give me some ideas of the differences I should be having now compared to back when I had the bass boost.
rodolfo7171 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
so heres the word on my problem.
check my wiring on one of the subs and it turned out to be that one of my subs was wired wrong.
so i rewired it and now it is all good.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
How exactly did you have it wired?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2008 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
He had one of them wired out of phase.
Page of 6