icon

1st time build, not happy with outcome

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rc26142 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  

Hello All, Im not happy with the outcome of my build. I applied the fleece, resin, which was cool. then started the fiberglass matting. What a pain that was or still is. The box is not laying smooth at all, I maybe using to big of pieces of matting which is causing some bubbles and looking nasty over the edges, Question I have is can i sand the bubbles down and start somewhat over, or do i need to scrap this project and start over?

Thanks for the advice, and recommendations

Ron

davngr 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
try using a roller to apply the product might help. it's a matter of experiance the more you do it the better you get at it.  hard to say if you should scrap it with out seing it. 
life is a comedy to think, a tragedy to feel
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
Sand the bubbles out and at that point YOU will need to decide whether or not you will be able to save the project.
joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2008 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
unless it is warped beyond repair, dont scrap it.  my first project had  a few bubbles. i simply sanded them out and added more resin and matting. it turned great in the end. as for the edges, its fiberglass, its not supposed to look pretty at first.use a dremel cut off disc and cut to about an 1/8 to a 1/16 of an inch from the edge and sand to smooth. be patient, it takes alot of getting the hang of. and everyone will agree, there is a lot of sanding, finish with a body filler which will smooth and hit the low spots, but not too thick on the filler. its cool we've all been there and now we are here to help you.
Make it Euro'n!!!
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
my first few fiberglass projects ending up being carpeted anyways, so as long as the enclosure is sound and works like its designed to, your good. I still carpet alot of my stuff now, but i could just as easily sand and paint. IMO looks are a definite plus, but functionality is a must. Good luck on your project
rtfm
speakerbox82 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, i have built one box so far and was very happy.

i read and read before taking on the unknown but let me tell you it was worth it first of all get a can of cooking

oil spray-99 store, get some latex gloves, cheap paint brushes 6pack should do, only mix in a flexable container so when the leftover dries you can pop it rightout and have a clean cup/bucket to use over and over

do not use the woven fiber mat, use the fiberglass that you can pull apart into 4''inch pieces,

make a pile of the fiberglass 4/6 inch pieces

put on gloves

mix your stuff up

spray your hands with the cooking oil dont worry about it messing anything up, it will help from everything

sticking to your hands.

ok here we go--work fast-- lay down some  resin just enought to stick the pieces to (the pieces will not be flat yet. kinda like a hair ball then take your resin and carfully pour some on top of the mess.

this is where the paint brush comes in. do not get the foam ones!

take your brush working fast push the fiberglass into the resin do not paint, push and dab this will remove all air bubbles!! you will not get a flat fiberglass job at this point but thats ok you will need layers and layers of fiberglass to make a strong box--no air bubbles should be the only thing you are trying to avoid

after layers and layers of fiberglass when your happy with the strength of you custom job then sand, sand, sand, till you get what you want, thats if you want to paint it--

I used bondo to get my final finish and it never cracked running about 800 watts to 10"

if you use bondo get lots of hardner because you want to mix it hot (ie lots of hardner) so the bondo won't crack also i wouldn't lay bondo more than 1/4 inch thick its only for smothing out the suface.

i have heard of people mixing resin in the bondo, but thats not what i did .

i hope this helps. sand or grind down the air bubbles and keep going!!!

i have pics of the box if you want to see how mine came out. it was made to fit on the floor board passenger side

kinda in the middle under the ash tray and glove box in my old sable.

let me know if this was at all helpfull. Thanks, Speakerbox

joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
nice write up, we want to see pics from everyone on here .  check out some of my topics on fg. i will post pics this week, working on the headliner this weekend, looking nice
Make it Euro'n!!!
rc26142 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

Alrighty, took all your advice and was able to savage the box, THANKS AGAIN. I'll post some pictures in the next day were im at on the project.

Later Ron

rc26142 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

1st time build, not happy with outcome -- posted image.

rc26142 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
1st time build, not happy with outcome -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic