the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

obscure movie references

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

wrote:
They send you here for life, and that's just what they take from you.

Red, played by Morgan Freeman, in The Shawshank Redemption?  One of the greatest stories written and one of the best films, too.  A reference that makes you think of prison, to be sure!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
To be completely sure... That, and "The Green Mile". BOTH fantastic stories. Excellent screen adaptations, as well!
That was the longest night of his life.
Three down.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Freeze, gopher!

No one? Really? Caddyshack right?

haemphyst wrote:
I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?

Ferris Bueller's Day Off, for sure.

haemphyst wrote:

Sounds like Shawshank Redemption to me...

theetimurban 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

Thought I had these in the first one...

haemphyst wrote:
Aw, now ain't that a shame? Folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that.

I'll Take, Better Off dead, for 800 Alex...

haemphyst wrote:
Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!

And for my Grande Finale, A Clockwork Orange.

Those are the only one's I can remember, I'd say I took a decent chunk out of that list.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well done, theetimurban! You di more by yourself than any of the OTHERS, combined! There were some pretty obscure lines in there, too!
haemphyst wrote:
Aw, now ain't that a shame? Folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that.
Better Off Dead
haemphyst wrote:
Ah, ah... Nobody says the "B" word.
Beetlejuice
haemphyst wrote:
Freeze, gopher!
Caddyshack
haemphyst wrote:
Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!
Clockwork Orange
haemphyst wrote:
I once caught a fish this big. (Hint: Actor is standing in a large robotic machine, and he uses the machine to indicate how big the fish was.)
Dave
haemphyst wrote:
Wonderful story, Bodie. I noticed you've stopped stuttering.
I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Up the voltage!
Real Genius
haemphyst wrote:
Next thing you know they're going to find me, floating at the bottom of the Hudson.
Drowning Mona
haemphyst wrote:
Me? Of course! I've been looting and pillaging up and down the coast.
Erik the Viking
haemphyst wrote:
I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?
Ferris Beuller's Day Off
haemphyst wrote:
Commander Powell would've named it.
Dark Star (A CULT classic, much like RHPS, which I hate!)
haemphyst wrote:
But you think... You think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?
Apes don't read philosophy.
Yes, they do, Otto, they just don't understand it.
A Fish Called Wanda
haemphyst wrote:
Well, Pete, I just figured it should the the one with capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, hell, let's put her to a vote!
O' Brother, Where Art Thou?
haemphyst wrote:
The Shawshank Redemption
haemphyst wrote:
Let me tell you something, Shelly. I do what I'm hired to do. I'm...wait a second. I'm hired to watch the leads. I'm given... hold on, I'm given a policy. My job is to do that. What I'm told. That's it. You, wait a second, anybody falls below a certain mark I'm not permitted to give them the premium leads.
Glengarry Glen Ross
haemphyst wrote:
That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.
The Princess Bride
For those of you that have never seen any of those movies, I highly recommend all of them. FANTASTIC examples of American Cinema!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
theetimurban 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
What can I say? I'm a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick
theetimurban 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

Well this was a thread I thought should've gone further... So anyone that wants to play along--

1) Life doesn't care about your vision. You just gotta roll with it.

2) Get your cousin outta that clown costume! Havin' that heat stroke again. Scarin' white folks...

3) Don't clutter up a clever scheme with morality

4) After Shiloh, the South never smiled.

5) You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution.

6) What the hell was that you little freckle face cartoon? Did I give you permission to sneeze, Opie?

7) Oh come alive, Rachel. Please come alive! Don't be dead. You can't be dead. Come alive, Rachel!

8) If that machine can do what you say it can do, destroy it, George! Destroy it before it destroys you!

9) Ask any dope rat where their junk sprang and they'll say they scraped it from that who scored it from this who bought it off so and after four or five connections the list always ends with the Pin. But I bet you got every rat in town together and said 'show your hands' if any of them've actually seen the Pin, you'd get a crowd of full pockets.

10) First rule of leadership: everything is your fault.

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a line from one of the greatest cult following movies IMHO!!

"Awww, come on!  Who makes the cut is there a raffle or something...........ME!!!  ME!!  I'm the guy!!!! I got their names, I got their phone numbers, I know where they live, I know who they're f@#%ing!!   We could kill Everyone!!!"

Props to the one who gets that!! 

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
theetimurban 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

The Boondock Saints

That was the easiest one ever. How's about you try answering one.

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

8) If that machine can do what you say it can do, destroy it, George! Destroy it before it destroys you!

The Time Machine....  Good one...had a a hard time with that one! 

10) First rule of leadership: everything is your fault.

Saw that movie 2 says ago w/ my niece!  A bug's life!!

Here's another one....easy one!

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic