icon

choosing products, 2005 scion xa

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tattooedkaos 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
I have used this forum for reference a lot in the past, and have just become a new member. I intend to do my first fully custom install in my 2005 Scion XA. I guess I should be more specific when I say fully custom! I had a standard box and some 12's and a board mounted, but now I am looking to utilize all the extra space above and around my spare tire, and end up with a single subwoofer and a mono sub amp and 4-channel amp, all hidden and professionally presented in my hatch, still allowing access to my spare tire, as well as proper ventilation to the amps!
   I have currently removed my 2 Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 subs and box, as well as my 2 alpine MRD-M500 V12 amps, and am in the process of selling it all to fund one good subwoofer with SQ and SPL. I have an Alpine V12 MRV-F340 powering Infinity reference 6.5 components in the front, and 5.25 coaxial in the back, running at 65watts RMS at 2ohms at 14.4. I have done the BIG 3 with 0g wire, have a custom wound 165 amp HO ALT, 300A waterproof ANL fuse and holder at battery, 0g power and ground, power and ground dist blocks that have 1-1/0g input, and 2-4g, 2-8g outputs.

Alright, on to my budget and the products I am currently looking at!
I would like to keep my MRV-F340 for my highs as it sounds great and has never had any issues, but will consider upgrading to a better amp if necessary later.
   I have a Panasonic CQ-C7205U Head unit with 5v preouts, and plan to update to an Alpine CDA-9887 in the future, but that is not currently in my budget.
   So far I am looking to get a good mono amp, with good efficiency, and SQ, as well as being able to output 1000-1200 watts RMS at 1ohm stable. I want to spend $400 or less if possible, and have been looking at 2 amps. Memphis 16-MCD1000 2008 model, which is 1100watts RMS @ 14.4 at 1ohm stable, or US Amps MD-1D 2008 model, which is 1200 watts RMS @14.4 1ohm stable
   Now for subs. I haven't seen much in the way of subs that seem to fit what I am looking for that have good SQ and massive SPL, and I am set on only having 1 sub, so it doesn't take up my entire hatch again. The only one that I am currently looking at is Elemental Designs 13Av.2, which is dual 2 or dual 4ohm voice coils, 1200-1500 watts RMS. The only downside is that sub has a mounting depth of over 10". From reviews seems to have good punchy rock style bass, and still be able to go super low on the deep notes. I listen to a variety of music, from super low and hard hitting drum and bass, and rap, to all sorts of metal, like Killswitch Engage and Metallica. I am looking to spend $350-400 on my sub
   On to highs. I am not looking to immediately replace my highs, but I intend to after I get my sub and amp, and get all my install laid out, and fabricated. I would like to spend $350 or less total on quality set of 6.5" components, and 5.25" coaxial for the rear, and was currently looking at Infinity Kappa Perfect.
   I intend to deaden my car as I go, with Raam mat and ensolite foam, starting with the trunk and hatch door. I also wanted to add that I get a consistent 13.86 volts at my distribution blocks, not sure if that is important!
I want to thank everyone for any help, apologize for such a long post, but I figured the more detailed the info the better.
Please ask any questions you have, and let me know if I forgot any important stuff, I tried to get it all! THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!
60% of the time it works every time!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
If you are looking for one woofer, why do you feel it is necessary to have an amp that is 1 ohm stable? Distortion will be higher, efficiency will be lower, Damping will be lower, more heat... All the bad things in life when you run an amp at that kind of load. Even if it CAN withstand it, why destroy whatever might be there at all, when there are perfectly usable amps that'll do 1kW into 4 ohms, easily...
Speaking from experience, you owe it to yourself to at least consider an Alpine PDX1.1000 and a JL W7 series woofer. That amp is a bona fide 1kW into 2 or 4 ohms, the JL 13W7 will use that all day long, and that combo (while maybe a BIT more than you really want to spend) will have FANTASTIC sound quality, AND it'll beat the street like a champ! (My 1.1000, BTW, was "birth-certificated" 1167WRMS at 13.8V, into 4 ohms) It's small, and relatively cool runnning, as well. Perfect for what you are looking for.
If you go with that step, I think you may have to wait a little bit longer for your new head, but it'll be WAY worth it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tattooedkaos 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
I will definitely consider that amp, it is able to be had in my price range on ebay, but I have never been a fan of paying for the JL name, they are excellent quality, but usually way overpriced. what do you think of RE or DD subs?
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
The W7s are FANTASTIC sound quality woofers. Really. Head and shoulders above either of those woofers. They will also play load, as you were looking for.
If not the JL, seriously consider Audio Pulse. Look to the 2000 or 3000 series woofers. Certainly cheaper than the JL, but I have them in my car (the 1000's), and I am VERY impressed by their capabilities.
One word of warning, though: Alpine will honor NO warranty for products bought on eBay. If really that bent on buying online (which I personally discourage; I support my local brick and mortar whenever possible) buy from Crutchfield, or someplace respectable. You have no idea the scrupulousness of the sellers on eBay.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tattooedkaos 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
I am definitely going to be getting a PDX 1.1000 amp, I really like the look , the way the connections are laid out, like they should be for good presentation and solid connection, and the fact that every review has been excellent for them! The average birth sheet specs seem to be 1150 watts or above!! I think I may even get the PDX-4.100 at a later date, to fully complete my setup, and hopefully it could be the last setup I ever need.
I like what I am reading about the Audio Pulse subwoofers, though I was unable to to find any stuff on the 1000 or 3000. I am currently looking at the Revo 12" line of their product, they say 1500 watts RMS, dual 2ohm, and I could wire that up to 4ohm. $525 MSRP, they will direct sell them, Lifetime warranty.
here is what they say, taken directly from their page
"REVO is armed with a FEA’ed suspension system that matches only the best around. This IS a reference high excursion bass driver and every piece of it is treated that way. We even allow the top assembly to be removed with minimal effort so that just in case it is damaged, a new replacement can be shipped out and installed within only a few days. Yes, we do give this driver, and every driver we make, a full life time warranty! Once installed, not only will this cure your upgrade bug for good, but you’ll never have to pay or ship anything for repairs or replacements as long as you own it! That is the Audiopulse way, and we don’t just make the best subs, we back it up like they were!"
Here is the page, http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/revo
I would really appreciate if you could look those over and tell me what you think, as I am extremely interested in them, and I really like the price and the lifetime service, thanks again
haemphyst 
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
My bad... The Revo IS the 3000. It was the 3000 before, when the product was TCSounds. The Epics are/were the 1000 series.
VERY good drivers, fantastic linearity, and REALLY respectable output as well. Thilo builds some of the best woofers in the world, and that's NOT just me saying that! I have met the man, and he DOES know his shiite!
Like I said, I have a pair of the Epic 10's in my trunk. Iso loaded in a transmission line, they dig deep! Using that same Alpine amp to drive them, at 4 ohms, I've never had any issue with "overpowering" them. They are quite happy with that kind of power driving them.
Follow the recommended box volumes, and choose the response YOU want, and you'll be happy with them! (That amp'll split your forehead, too!)
BTW... Here's my present system...
tattooedkaos 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I found a guy on the ROE forums that is an authorized dealer of Audiopulse, and knows Thilo personally, he told me he could get me a Revo 12" shipped to me for $420, and that it has the same lifetime warranty as stated on the site. He has solid recommendations, and I am pretty much sold on buying one of these!!
By the way, I like your door pods, and your setup sounds like it is amazing. I may in the future decide on a nice digital EQ, do you have any suggestions?
I am also wondering if you could help or point me towards someone that would be willing to help with design and questions for a possible sealed or ported box? after reading what you can achieve with a properly tuned and built ported enclosure, I really want to do one right, but am not sure I have the room. choosing products, 2005 scion xa -- posted image.
Again I appreciate the help, any suggestions on my highs?
haemphyst 
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
I think you won't be sorry... Those things are AWESOME drivers.
Thank you. A guy be the name of tcss (here on the board) had his crew build those for me; sadly, he has since closed (in all reality, he SOLD) his shop. They are fantastic looking pods, the pictures really don't do enough justice. On the recommendation of an iASCA registered Sound Quality judge, (one who has Martin-Logan electrostats in his living room - he KNOWS what sounds good: what sounds RIGHT...) I JOINED iASCA, just to get to show it off in some comps... iASCA sucks, tho, cause there aren't EVER any comps in California, dammit. I personally have Wisdom Audio 52 inch planar magnetics in my living room, and I know I wanted THAT caliber of sound in my car. It was a LONG row to hoe, but it was worth it.
Well, I use JBL Speakershop, myself... Always been really happy with the results, too! I can plug the numbers in if you'd like. What kind of overall response are you desiring, and how much volume would you be willing to spare? We'll start there, and then we'll see what we can do with the driver... How close we'll be able to come to your desired results. (<whispering> sealed, sealed, sealed... choosing products, 2005 scion xa -- posted image. that's a bug in your ear, by the way...)
Highs...   Hmmm... 2-way, or 3-way? It'll depend on what you want. 2-way WILL be about the same price, as you'll have to have "more capable" drivers, (translation: mo' money) but if you can spare the door space, three way IS the way to go, no question!
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Partsexpress.com now sells AudioPulse.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
tattooedkaos 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
I actually went through and read the entire thread about your setup, and with what ppl are saying I would have loved to hear it, but sadly I live in ohio. I have always been fond of sealed enclosures, and due to trying to retain some hatch space, I will probably end up doing a sealed box. I am trying to keep my spare tire accessible by being able to lift the sub box up and out.
I am going to start a new thread about amp rack and sub box design in the next couple days, and after I figure out how to post pictures, I am gonna post pictures of my hatch, a bunch of different angles and stuff, cover on, cover off, and I will do my front and rear doors as well, so we can see if 3-way is plausible. I was also able to find a freeware copy of speakershop, so all I have to do is learn to use it.
I really appreciate the help, and once I get that other thread up I will look forward to your input!!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic