icon

new head unit matched with old equalizer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
waveshredder 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all! I have an old Alpine 3311 equalizer that is in mint condition and i want to use it with my stereo installation. Unfortuneately, the head unit is an Alpine 7163 and is a cassette deck. I don't even own any cassettes anymore. I am going to buy a new deck. Question is, can I hook up the old EQ with any of the newer decks? Has anybody done this with this particular EQ and what deck did you hook it up with? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
"To defy the laws of tradition, is a crusade only of the brave" Primus
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 5:11 AM / IP Logged  

You will have no problems using that EQ with a new deck.

waveshredder 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
Thanaks for the reply !   How do I hook it up?  Thanks again !!
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
I never really pay attention to the model numbers.  I thought that this was a standard EQ with a yellow constant 12 volt wire.  A black ground wire, and a blue remote turn on wire.  And RCA jacks for input, front, rear and subwoofer outputs.  But since you are asking how to hook it up.  This must not be the case.  Does it have 8 pin din plugs for input and output? 
waveshredder 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
Yes it does. The outputs are fine.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
Then you need an Alpine to RCA adapter. I'm not sure you can actually still get them, but eBay is a good source for old style connectors like that. Otherwise, possibly your local Alpine dealer can come up with something for you. (I don't usually recommend eBay, but in this case it MIGHT be your best option, although not your ONLY option...)
Your smaller shops will be FAR more likely to help you out than the big box stores, try them first. (Not to mention the fact that they will know their asses from a hole in the ground, usually...)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

I don't remember asking if the outputs were OK but I guess i must have.  The important question was    Does it have (8 PIN) din plugs for the input and output?  If so I think I have an old amp in my shop somewhere so I can power it up and draw you a diagram for the din plugs.  I remember the pin out for the ones with RCA and remote.  Don't remember where constant and switched is in the plug.

waveshredder 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

I don't remember asking if the outputs were OK but I guess i must have.  The important question was    Does it have (8 PIN) din plugs for the input and output?  If so I think I have an old amp in my shop somewhere so I can power it up and draw you a diagram for the din plugs.  I remember the pin out for the ones with RCA and remote.  Don't remember where constant and switched is in the plug.

Thanks again for the help! I can send you a diagram of the plugs for the 3311 that Alpine sent me. my email address is old_surfer_dude@msn.com. I'll reply and send them to you. Thanks.
waveshredder 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
I emailed the din plug specs to the email you sent me.  Thanks.
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

Radio Shack sells the din plugs you need to make this up.  You will need one 5 pin male din and three 8 pin female dins.  If you are using 3 amps.  I know that the input plug is an 8 pin plug, the extra pins are to supply constant and switched power to the older Alpine decks. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic