icon

wire terminals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
I thought about a tool that would do that but it would need to be made. I have a vision of what it should do but as far as inventing the tool, I don't have a clue on who would manufacture it. It may not be a high demand item but in our field it would come in handy on a regular basis.
The only wire you ever cut is the starter wire for anti-grind or starter disable. Even then you solder them or use an appropriate butt connector for the size wire. Normally yellow work fine for that unless the starter wire is a tad thinner then the blue size will work. I strip wire with utility knife and stripper. I do as stated in previous post and place stripper and clamp down and rotate slightly and go over about 3/4 inch and do the same. Take the knife and remove then I place knife lengthwise to wire and push through then give a twist to open middle of wire. It makes it look like a needle thread hole and I insert wire through and then twist around. It makes it much more resistant to being pulled apart if you don't solder, but I solder it anyways in the same fashion.
As far as T-Taps are concerned, I dislike them and any installer too lazy to do the right job. Especially on high current connections, I solder most of the time. The other times twist and tape, but not by choice mind you so please don't say anything. My boss likes to rush stuff and tells me to just get it done and twist and tape is fine. I know better and have been in the install field since 1994 and only used a few T-Taps and then smartened up. They can cause problems in the long run and I don't want to be the cause of a car fire due to connection arching creating enough heat to melt the insulation off the wire resulting in possible harm to someone in that vehicle.
If your shop owner is short term thinker then I would seriously think about his work ethics and morals. I also would have to say I have redone quite a few jobs done with T-Taps so you can do what you do and the installers who do a good job like myself will have to keep repairing them. wire terminals - Page 2 -- posted image.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

Komobu wrote:
What do you use for peeling them back? I use wire strippers and rotate two cuts about 3/8 inch apart. Then I use a razor knife to connect the two cuts, allowing me to peel a 3/8s piece of insulation off. I am wondering if a tool is available to do this for me faster and neater.
Thanks

I do the same thing - two cuts about 3/8" apart.  But, I don't use a razor knife to cut the insulation, I just grab it with the pliars on the end of the stripper and pull.  The insulation will come off pretty easy - same effect but much faster then using the razor knife.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic