the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

inline crossovers to use or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
The ONLY way "you may not need" the crossovers is if you are using a different sort of crossover, like running an active system.  So let's be clear: in every case, you'll be using a crossover.  Unless you are a very advanced installer, please use the system the way it was designed.
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

I could have swore that the purpose of this website was to possibly help some not so advanced installers to maybe become a little more apt at overcoming obstacles. I guess I must have been confused.   He asked about the inline crossovers.  Nobody ever asked the very important question that really did need to be asked in order to answer his question properly.   I never told him to not use a crossover.

We really need a little more info from him to help him.   If of course we are wanting to help him. 

EDIT  I just went and re-read my post and noticed how I could have confused a rookie.  So Daboss, when I said you may not have to use  THOSE crossovers, I forgot to mention that you would have to use the crossovers built into your amplifiers.  But before we spend a lot of time typing instructions, we really need to know how many amps you have. 

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

Right.  The OP, based on his posts, is not ready to try installing a bi-amped setup IMO.   In most cases as I'm sure you know, using crossovers built into amplifiers is not going to cut it to properly set up a comp set.  Plus, without the proper experience, not to mention the equipment needed to measure the T/S parameters of the drivers, or to test the Xover points and slopes in the passives, and without an RTA, the only way to get an active setup to sound right is by luck.  inline crossovers to use or not? - Page 2 -- posted image.

To be clear: this forum is for installers to help each other, but also for installers willing to share their knowledge and experience advising the general public and the DIY guy.  I could be wrong but this OP does not appear to be a professional installer but someone who simply wanted to know how to set up his speakers.

Support the12volt.com
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
since it appears i have a 72 iq which by far i dont. i opted just to take to my buddy and his lead installer. im not a pro but im by far not a noob.  ive asstd on many installs and ive done a few simple ones my self. as a man i admit my limits, and its seems when that happens on these forums you are labled a deedeedee.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
DYohn 
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
So how did your buddy install the speakers?
Support the12volt.com
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
he didnt i did? due to the fact i have 3 x5 ch amps and 1 x4 ch. if to fore go the x-over all together it wouldnt be a real issue. this is an ENTRY lvl system so i was advised to go with the provided x-overs that came with the speakers untill i upgrade. after the upgrade i was advised to use some of my uber audio control items i have sitting around.at this time he advised not to biamp. me did say after a nice upgrade it may want to think about it. bottom line i ran a 4ch alpine to my rear fill, and the 2 passive 2 way crossovers for the 6 1/2s and tweets.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
DYohn 
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
OK, so it sounds like you did it correctly.  Good for  you.  And by the way, it has nothing to do with being an entry-level system, it is the NORMAL way to use a component set.  That's why companies provide crossovers - which are pretty difficult to design properly.  And all-active system is ONLY for very advanced users and then only for specific tastes.  I consider myself a pretty advanced user and I would not spend the time nor money to put one in my cars.  Use the passives - that is why they exist.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I consider myself a pretty advanced user and I would not spend the time nor money to put one in my cars.
Chicken. inline crossovers to use or not? - Page 2 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
DYohn wrote:
I consider myself a pretty advanced user and I would not spend the time nor money to put one in my cars.
Chicken. inline crossovers to use or not? - Page 2 -- posted image.

inline crossovers to use or not? - Page 2 -- posted image. Actually I just wouldn't want to show you up... inline crossovers to use or not? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic