the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

10ga remote start fuse holder what type?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
My Clifford 50.5x relay satellite has 3 12v constant wires that i'm going to do a 3 into 1 setup with and take them straight to the battery using 10awg.My question is which fuse holder would be better,a ato/atc blade fuse holder which looks water proof,but not 100% sure like this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=070-675 or should i utilize an actual waterproof agu fuse holder in which i would step up to 8awg like this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=070-660 Now the three 12v lines come with 30 amp fuses in which i will switch with 15amp fuses and put an 15amp fuse in the fuse holder coming off of the battery also.
"ole blake"
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure what kind of car you have, but I'd imagine there's probably someplace inside where you could find a strong source of constant power.
But, to answer your question, I like the first one you listed, because it's easy to find replacement fuses.
If you ever needed another fuse, even if you were out of town, or it was late at night.....even the supermarket carries that kind of fuse.
Or if your car uses the same kind of fuse, you could "borrow" the car's cigarette lighter or defroster fuse.
If you can, try to position that fuseholder upright, with the cover on top, so that any water will flow down and away, instead of collecting on the edge and getting inside.
It might not hurt to put a little petroleum jelly or non-conductive grease inside the cover too.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
Ah, one more thing.
I'm not sure how you'd plan to connect that fuseholder to the wire that goes inside the car, but I've found that butt connectors aren't all that reliable under the hood.
I would either:
Solder and shrink tube,
Solder and high quality electrical tape,
Get a heat-shrink butt connector (Autozone and Home Depot should have them, although they're expensive),
Regular butt connector with shrink tubing over it.
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Chris i have a 07 Mercury Milan.According to my DirectWire sheet,i only have one 15amp 12v wire at the harness.Which is why i planned on taking the 3 remote start 12v wires to the battery and only the alarm 12v to the harness.
"ole blake"
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  
You may want to check the Smart Junction Box in the kick panel - it will definitely have a high-current feed going to it and also save you the trouble of running wire to the battery.
Also I would suggest connecting the alarm constant 12V input to the SJB or battery as well - it supplies the feed for the parking lights and the siren, and that's maybe more extra current than you want to add on to the BROWN / red feed to the ignition harness.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Chris.Right now i'm in the middle of Baghdad and my vehicle is back in the states.I'll be heading home soon so i'm doing as much pre-homework that i can do before i get back.I will def.take a look at the SJB for a main feed though.Thanks for the tip.
"ole blake"
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  
Good for you...hey thanks for going over there. I was there myself a couple years back.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Your welcome brother.I'm on a 15 month tour this trip,last one was 13,so i'm glad we're coming to an end.I sent you a pm.
"ole blake"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic