icon

lights dim more after big 3 upgrade?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lanceam24 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
i had already done my negative batt to chas, and engine block to chas(stock location) i ran a fused 4 awg power wire from my alt to positive terminal earlier and now my lights dim a lot more for some reason. they used to dim at around 18 on my head unit with my sub on, now its more like 13-15. i noticed a better throttle response whenever i performed the mod so im sure i did it right. i might run another engine block to chass. wire. nebody familiar with this? 
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of vehicle do you have? What kind of battery? What kind of equipment are you running? details...details
rtfm
lanceam24 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
1996 mazda protege (60 amp alt.), optima red top battery, 1 12" kicker cvr, 1200w sony xplod amp, rockford fosgate 4 awg wiring kit, big 3 upgrade done with stinger 4awg power wire
mtdewcowboy 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
The sony amp is more like 500 watts if you are lucky. Have one in my garage and it never hit like my Kicker 5 channel amp. Your alt may be going out because you are not pulling that much maybe 35 or 40 amps at full power.
Valor ITS-710W In-Dash Navigation Ready DVD Player
2 SETS KICKER KS502 5.25 AUDIO COMPONENT SPEAKERS
KICKER ZX700.5 5-CHANNEL CAR AUDIO AMPLIFIER STEREO AMP
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
All this is showing you is how INEFFECTIVE the charging system was BEFORE. Now that everything is working more efficiently, the transient overloading has become more noticeable.
Now, you need either a new battery, a high output alternator, or (preferably) both
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic