icon

kicker cvr 15's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sealed-fate 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I have 2 Kicker CVR 15 subs. I received one that was 2 ohm and I had got another that was a 4 ohm. The voice coils are wired in series and I have them wired parallel to the amp.   My question is since my amp overheats quickly if it is because one is a 2 ohm and the other is a 4 ohm, also could this be a sign of needing bigger speaker wire? I am using only 8 guage wire on these speakers and I am using a Kicker ZX550.1 amplifier.
Any help would be much appreciated.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
I never knew kicker made a 550.1
I'd upgrade your power and ground wires to atleast 4 gauge.
Also what is the voltage at the amp while the system is on full tilt??
How is the amp grounded??
auzz 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
Are they single or dual voice coil subs?
sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Yes they have made one, :P
My power and ground wires are 4 gauge already and the ground is grounded to the frame of the car.
Also they are both dual voice coils.
auzz 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Here is a topic about wiring a 4ohm and a 2ohm sub.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=82541&KW=2++4ohm

and here is another

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=74664&KW=2++4ohm

You have limited options.

And I can't find any info on a ZX550.1 so I am not sure what ohms that amp is stable down to,  are you sure it is not the ZX500.1 or ZX550.2 or ZX550.3 ?

8 gauge should be plenty fine for speaker wire! (correct me if I am wrong), what gauge is your power and ground wire?

My guess would be you have your sub wired incorrectly and are putting stress on the amp.

sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Oh right my mistake it is a ZX550.2
4 guage power and ground wire.
I used to run 2 kicker cvr 12's and was told to use 4 gauge wires as speaker wires too. And could swear I heard that a 2 ohm and 4 ohm wired causes stress or something like that.
sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok now here is the deal.
I have 2 matching Dual Voice coil Kicker CVR 15's which are both 2 ohm subs. Voice coils wired in series on both and they are both paralleled to the amp. These speakers are on small 8 guage wires and the amp still overheats.
Solution, wires? Anyone else think so or could I be wrong?
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  

If you bought this amp authorized, it should have come with a birthcertificate. What is the wattage on the birthcertificate? Your amp might be underrated and overheating too quickly. How long does it take before it starts overheating? The thermal protection circuit on the amp should kick in at about 20 to 30 mintues of playing at moderate levels.

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
It says Total Maximum Output is 591 watts. But I was reading that it was a bridgeable amp though which doubles that right?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 4:38 AM / IP Logged  

sealed-fate wrote:
Ok now here is the deal.   I have 2 matching Dual Voice coil Kicker CVR 15's which are both 2 ohm subs.

...kinda figuring out what you got as we go on here, eh?

1.  Next post, describe exactly what is happening to the amplifier to cause you to believe it is overheating.

2.  Before that, go over every detail of your install.  Make sure you have all wiring correct, fuses installed, proper grounds, and "a day's worth of attention" to setting the gain.

3.  Please quit theorizing that the speaker wires are too small.  You hear a lot of different things from people on the street but this thread doesn't need to reference all of them.  Fourteen gauge wire for AC current from amp to subs is plenty of wire and anything larger gauge offers no improvement.

4.  If a sub is dual voice coils and each coil is 2 ohms, then refer to it as "a DVC 2 ohm" sub.  Not as "a 2 ohm sub".  Because if using both coils it's really not a 2 ohm sub, is it?  This is to keep you aware of what you are really working with and to keep everybody, responding here, on the same page.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic