icon

86 deville charging system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 86 deville and i m having problems with my charging system. i had a stock alt and a fact spec battery at 700 cranking amps . the three amps i had hooked up to it was (2) 100 watt amps and (1) 1600 amp now i know the stock charging system wont support it without a strain. but heres the qestion it has but im up grading the the audio system i havent added anything new  but i removed the 1600 amp after it being wired 8 months. so i only have the 2 amps wired. after my car is running driving partially of the time if i turn it off and try to turn it on it has a bit of struggle or ill have to jump it. is it the alternator or the battery. i have the big three installed on the car as well . i plan on changing the alt and battery but wht is the problem as of now
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
nothing the problem is your car. i assume this is a caddy deville? if so its the car not you. power locks, power windows, power this that. my dads a grease monkey of 34 yrs caddys are one of the most power hungry cars out. they are sold to you with just enough of a charging system to get by. id upgrade you battery, im running 2x 1000 cca batts in my car. with the omg yes 2 farad caps. and im due to upgrade my alt soon. YES I KNOW FARAD CAPS DONT HELP SUPPOSEDLY. what size motor do you have? you may have enough room to run 2 batts under the hood. as i said ,and another with 34yrs exp. caddys love power and eat it well.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  

if this is a rear drive caddy... finding a h.o. alternator shouldn't be a problem... u could also use a starting battery in excess of 1000 cranking amps or better.. ie. optima red top

if this is a front drive caddy probably equipped with a 4100 or some variation.. a ho alternator may be lil harder to come by... but u should still be able to find one.. just cost u a couple extra bucks... but definitely get a better starting battery... then u should probably consider a matching cell for the trunk or maybe even a kinetik power cell... probably like an hc1800 or so....

cadillac's motors do require also quite a bit a starting energy for their blocks to turn over.. if the above doesn't help u may even need to seek out a high performance starter as well and maybe some pulley work may help...

there can be only one.......
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
I would go with a kinetik battery . as for the alt if you have the room under the hood. see if you can run  a second stock alternator. you with need a mounting bracket fabricated. and a differant belt. in most cases. it's cheaper than a H.O. alternator. the first thing i would do is test you alternator and battery. i think you battery and or alternator are bad. what 1600 amp are you running?
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies yes my car is a 1986 cadillac devile sedan 4.1l or 4100 engine. I gpt a qoute from H.O. alternator that I can get a altrnator that will fit my car to factory specs. And the amp I removed way before I was having starting problems its a audiobahn a2200hct. And I was told caps are the thing to do what do you all think.
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
forget the capaciter. there only helpful for peaking over your cars eletrical system. .  you need a good battery. before you need a H.O. alternator.look at this battery http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4578 test your alternator. if its running 14.4 or higher put a new battery in and do a big three upgrade. also a cheaper route for the battery(s) 2 of the same duralast gold batterys from autozone.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have the big 3 upgrade already sometimes ill start it play my radio and it have problems starting then I might have to jump it . In a result what I have been told is that jumping a battery reset the batties memory so it doesn't keep a high charge like it should. I got qouted for a hp alt for 625 and 250a. So ill do the battery and the alt thanks any more suggestions
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
you say you did the big 3 but how big did you go? i also redid my alt ground. and batt cables. does this hard start after you drive for a while? i had the same problem with my last 85 sedan deville. i did this after it got hot, didnt matter with or with out the system. turned out to be a weak starter, and the main power and or ground for the car was funky. this power/ground should be on the left fender well? may be funky may need to be beefed up.bottom line if the cables are hot then its not thick enough.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
I used 0 guage same as my power wire. I never had this problem in 9 months I had my system plugged up this is current. I put the updated ground in the stock location but ill double check them
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  
daboss593 wrote:
nothing the problem is your car. i assume this is a caddy deville? if so its the car not you. power locks, power windows, power this that. my dads a grease monkey of 34 yrs caddys are one of the most power hungry cars out. they are sold to you with just enough of a charging system to get by. id upgrade you battery, im running 2x 1000 cca batts in my car. with the omg yes 2 farad caps. and im due to upgrade my alt soon. YES I KNOW FARAD CAPS DONT HELP SUPPOSEDLY. what size motor do you have? you may have enough room to run 2 batts under the hood. as i said ,and another with 34yrs exp. caddys love power and eat it well.
Where did you buy your battery from and I made a mistake my battery is 650 cca 780c. I'm suprised it worked this long
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic