icon

css sd12

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2008 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Bueno, 14.75"(h)x36"(w) and depth isn't an issue, but I'd like to keep it under 2 feet (I'd like some trunk space)
theetimurban 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2008 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

::UPDATE::

So I've decided to ditch the Mpyre mids and go with these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-826

Much cheaper, and they take up less space.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't use the shielded version in a car as it will be much larger and harder to install.  They make a 5-1/4" non-shielded as well.  Also, that speaker is not really suitable as a mid: what's your intended frequency range?
Support the12volt.com
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

timurban wrote:
The plan is to fiberglass over expanding foam.. You think that would suffice, orrr no?

I tried this once and the fiberglass resin dissolved the foam.  You'll need a different solution.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
theetimurban 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
I wouldn't use the shielded version in a car as it will be much larger and harder to install.  They make a 5-1/4" non-shielded as well.  Also, that speaker is not really suitable as a mid: what's your intended frequency range?

100-400hz... You think these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-850 would be better suited? And what do you think my crossover points should be?

sedate wrote:

timurban wrote:
The plan is to fiberglass over expanding foam.. You think that would suffice, orrr no?

I tried this once and the fiberglass resin dissolved the foam.  You'll need a different solution.

I can't remember what install I was looking at, but as I'm thinking I'm pretty sure it was Haem's car, where what the installer did was cover the foam in aluminum foil, and fiberglassed over the foil. Which apparently knocked out any chance of the resin dissolving the foam.

Gah, maybe I'm in over my head on this one..

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

Well, that might sound better than the subwoofer version, although it has a really low power rating.  Are you looking for a cheap way to experiment?  Try THESE.

Do you have to use a 5-1/4" frame size?  If not and if you want an outstanding woofer that really sounds good and will last a long time, THESE are a good choice.  or, like I mentioned earlier, the CSS SDX-7.

Support the12volt.com
theetimurban 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the stock door speaker is 6.5", but I've gotten pretty alright at fabrication in the last few months, so size wasn't an issue for me. I'm pretty much just lookin for the best gear for lowest amount of money, but isn't that always the quest?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

If it helps the Mpyre speakers are still a bargain at $100 each.  You won't find a lower distortion midwoofer.  It's basically a 4 ohm version of the SDX-7 David mentioned above.

DYohn 
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

Steven, is Mpyre still operating?

Support the12volt.com
theetimurban 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Yeahh... As this has all turned into a giant headache for me, I'm thinking I might just invest in a set of Eclipse 3-way components.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic